Get windows Runtime Error at starting my application

I installed it twice: first as a normal user and then second as administrator and I get immediately after double clicking the IDE icon a similar error message to the above one!
So maybe it has nothing to do with Stefan Mettenbrinks application at all!
I could post the screen message - if someone tells me how to manage this in this forum

As I expected.

You can get the image by running the snipping tool in windows. Click the windows icon and type snip, cut out the square. Save it to your desktop then visit https://imgur.com/, click new post (green at the top) then drag the file on or browse for it.

When its uploaded, right click the image and open the image in a new tab (this process may vary depending on browser) then copy the url which should now include the extension (i.e. .png), then come back to the forum and click the little image icon in the top right of a new post. That will insert the following into the post, then paste in your url from your clipboard.

[img]http://example.com/image.jpg[/img]

Just paste in the contents of your clipboard between the [img] tags, click Preview to test its working before posting.

Sorry for the delay

Ok, so where do we go from here…

What edition of WIndows 10 are you running?

Right click Windows icon, click system, scroll down to “Windows specifications”

Could you let us know:

Edition
Version
OS Build

Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Built 16299

for more system info please go to the original post on top

Just out of curiosity… what is the antivirus software on this machine? Is it up to date? Is it the same as all of the other machines?

On the machine with the error I use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 (licensed version).
on the other notebook I use Avira Antivirus.
Both are up to date (automatic update)

Since they are different, it could be that you are getting a false positive and the antivirus is what’s killing the app. This happens from time to time. To verify, disconnect from the network (so you don’t accidenally download something else with a virus in it), turn off your antivirus software temporarily and try to launch the app. You may also be able to simply whitelist your app within the AV software.

this is exactly what I tried last minutes: disconnect, disabled temporarily Bitdefender and restart Xojo IDE. Same error again.
What I did not try yet: uninstall Xojo IDE and reinstall with Bitdefender turned off.
Think it makes no sense as I got no problems when installing the Xojo IDE with Bitdefender on

With bitdefender off, did the built app also still crash?

with Bitdefender = off the application crashes (with the error message as in the original post)
and the IDE also crashes with the error message I posted 2 hours ago

Have you tried disabling the Windows UAC? I have had problems with this in the past. I have had to disable UAC, install, then enable UAC. In some cases, the user must still right-click and run as administrator.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

I disabled UAC
then startet Xojo IDE as user then as administrator: both times same error again.
dito when starting Stefan Mettenbrinks application

[quote=371133:@Heiner Mollekopf]I disabled UAC
then startet Xojo IDE as user then as administrator: both times same error again.
dito when starting Stefan Mettenbrinks application[/quote]
I meant that my users had to disable UAC, install my application, then enable UAC. And only a very small percentage have to do this.

ok, with this app no installation is neccessary, you just doubleclick the exe and it starts.
So I assume, UAC seems to be not the problem?

[h]The problem is solved - built in Nvidia graphics caused the problem[/h]
I contacted Xojo support and in the discussion the idea came up to further check the hardware of the notebook (see some specification in the opening post of Stefan Mettenbrink).
This was very good discussion and the Xojo guys are really helpful - thank you very much !

So I found the cause: the (high performance) Lenovo W520 has besides the processor integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000) a secondary graphics unit Nvidia Quadro 2000M.
I had the sneaking suspicion that maybe one of the graphics could be the cause of the problem and searched for a possibility to switch off the Nvidia Quadro 2000M or at least control its behaviour.
And I found it. There is a control app on the pc which is called “Nvidia system control”.
I opened it and found the following:

Here you can decide on an app by app basis which graphics processor should be used – options:

1. integrated graphis
  2. Nvidia graphis or
  3. global settings (which means I think that the system decides itself what to use based on I-don’t-know-what

The setting was “3” and I switched it to “1” and bingo: Xojo IDE as well as Stefans application work know!

Thank you all for your help in this case !

Thanks for coming back and letting us know the solution Heiner, I’m glad you got it sorted.