Get Location with IOS APP

[quote=154599:@Michel Bujardet]I noticed there was no request for camera support in Feedback. I just made one. <https://xojo.com/issue/37491>

If you allow Exif support, the camera should automatically add the location information to pictures taken, as part of the framework.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ve added it to my top cases. Unfortunately I need to obtain a location that may be different than where a picture was taken, but that’s a good thought. I’m looking into perhaps embedding an HTML viewer showing Google Maps. I notice Google changes the current location URL (which includes the lat/long) as you drag the map around, so I’m wondering if I can hook into that. I may be able to let the user drag the map view so the location they want is central on the screen and hopefully that will correspond to the latitude and longitude Google show in the URL. Google Maps also has a ‘current location’ button which may give the current location of the device. Have to experiment.

I find it uncomfortable how Xojo Inc seems to expect customers to make feature requests for every basic feature. I know you use Feedback requests to work out priorities but, come on, surely this particular feature was on a roadmap for your product?

Come on guys, give 'em a little break. For the first release of iOS they couldn’t deliver everything. Of course they want to bring other things into the new target but we can help them prioritize with our Feedback reports.

If a lot of people sign on to Navigation Services instead of Camera support (or visa versa) then they’ll implement that one first if they can. If we don’t provide them with that feedback they’ll do what they feel is more important.

It might be better, for us, to have a guide on how to create declares from the iOS documentation. Perhaps a declare generator utility would help out as I’ve never done much with declares. The point is, I think if we had an iOSLibrary like the MacOSLib folks (there is a lot of overlap) we could fill in a lot of the background services that Xojo isn’t providing for us right now.

I understand but these sorts of features are really the very foundation of what Xojo iOS should be, should not have to be requested, they should be on the product roadmap and driven by management to their conclusion as soon as possible to catch up with other iOS dev tools. It shouldn’t be a vote from the users for these sorts of features. Later on, when Xojo iOS, that would make more sense then, but not yet. Just my opinion.

I’m sure they have a list - it’s just not been shown to us. My point is that our votes can help shape their priorities.

For example, I need Location Services in an app I’m working on right now. I’m willing to throw points at it to make it happen in the next release, more so than Camera support, even if both are important in the long run and on the list.

But your point is valid, it would be nice to know what 2015 R1 will bring for iOS support (most of which is probably done already). But we probably won’t get that until the first betas.

This would be really good to know. I have two iOS projects on the cards for clients. Both require access to the camera/photo library and one requires location services and movie playback. They won’t start until February next year, so it would be great to know what is coming in iOS. If location services is coming then I will wait, however if it’s not I will need to pick up another dev environment pretty soon as there’s going to be a steep learning curve involved. I’d hate to invest time and money somewhere else only to find Xojo releases what I need a week or so later.

As Bob mentioned, those things are not mutually exclusive. We ask for people to rank cases because it can influence priority, including those things we already have planned.

Okay sure and I know Feedback is a useful tool for you guys, and somehow you’ve managed to convince us all to file everything under the sun, all the bugs with your product, all the features your product should have etc, even though filing requests takes time away from your customer’s own work, so kudos :wink: But my main point was that if you re-read Greg’s message…

… it reads as if location services is somehow optional, instead of the “basic” foundational thing it is on mobile devices. I was just saying that if it’s on the roadmap anyway, please don’t waste customer’s time by getting us to file more requests for things.

[quote=154624:@Bob Keeney]Come on guys, give 'em a little break. For the first release of iOS they couldn’t deliver everything. Of course they want to bring other things into the new target but we can help them prioritize with our Feedback reports.

If a lot of people sign on to Navigation Services instead of Camera support (or visa versa) then they’ll implement that one first if they can. If we don’t provide them with that feedback they’ll do what they feel is more important.
[/quote]

Providing declare snippets is all the more important, as I did link to Jason King’s camera package.

Talking about declare generator, that is precisely what Jason did with DeclareMaker in
https://forum.xojo.com/18427-declaremaker-easily-create-ios-cocoa-declares-from-apple-docs

[quote=154671:@Michel Bujardet]Providing declare snippets is all the more important, as I did link to Jason King’s camera package.

Talking about declare generator, that is precisely what Jason did with DeclareMaker in
https://forum.xojo.com/18427-declaremaker-easily-create-ios-cocoa-declares-from-apple-docs[/quote]
I missed that thread somehow, thanks Michel.

Just added 60 points for this feature request. To be honest though, it feels like I’m asking for a steering wheel for my car :wink:

Best post ever.

MacOSLib is in many ways a great inspiration to create declares for iOS. Very often the declare is the same, except the name of the library changes.

I have been trying to add declares and some native controls to XojoIOSWrapper when they are available, which started for my own use, and I posted at https://forum.xojo.com/18171-xojoioswrapper

Maybe some of these declares could be added a .x releases?

Since 2016 R2 we now have the iOSLocation Control.

Is it possible to get for example a list of all Restaurants within 500 Meters around my Location with it? And if yes, has someone already made something like this and is willing to share some Code with us?

And then when you have located the restaurant and eaten, you can use TipWiz to reward the waiter :wink:

the App “AroundMe” already exists …

Well, I see how Sascha could provide “full service” with an app that shows restaurants and then helps tipping. Apparently “AroundMe”, Waze or Apple Map don’t do that…

TipWiz is a fun Project and i am always thinking about ways to improve it. It’s a nice training for using Xojo on iOS until i have the one idea which makes me rich one day. :wink:

Never stop dreaming…

@jean-paul devulder you are simply AWESOME :smiley: