Gatekeeper Issues

As far as I saw, there is no needs to follow these if I gave a copy of the application stored in a MemoryStick (if I do not use Internet to share the application).

Am I correct ?

Can you post a copy of the DMG online and DM me the link to download it. I am asking the OS if the DMG is compressed, maybe I am doing something wrong?

It certainly used to be this way, but I haven’t tested this with Catalina, Apple may have changed it (and to be honest I expect them to change it at some point). I would suggest trying it with the machines that you intend to run your application, if it works, no problem.

[quote=471022:@Sam Rowlands]In the meantime I’ve discussing the ramifications of ignoring this particular error. My contact will need to do some research into where in the process this error is actually reported so I can make a safe judgment call on how critical it is just ignore it.

I’ve also requested more information about what Apple does at their end, again to confirm if it a safe assumption to ignore this particular error.[/quote]
Great. Hope it’s not a problem too complex to solve.

[quote=471022:@Sam Rowlands]In the meantime, I’ve modified App Wrapper, it will still report this error, but in the case of this particular error, it will complete the rest of the wrapping.

You can download the latest alpha from https://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/appWrapper3update311.dmg[/quote]
I confirm it works as intended (one row of “error” reported but the process terminates successfully).

When one drops a dmg file on App Wrapper, the “DMG signer” window opens with that dmg. Is it possible to set the “Notarize” window as default? In my workflow, I don’t sign my DMG files as a step; I notarize directly (which, if I understand correctly, also signs the file).

Sure, especially as I’m going to be removing the DMG signer in the future as it’s integrated into the Notarization process.

Great; thank you!

Try this version :slight_smile:
https://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/appWrapper3update311.dmg

[quote=471184:@Sam Rowlands]Try this version :slight_smile:
https://www.ohanaware.com/appwrapper/appWrapper3update311.dmg[/quote]
OK, I’ve tried it.
Indeed, when I drop a dmg onto the dock icon, the dmg ends up in the notarisation window; nice!

However, this version has a problem: once I sign my apps, they lose their AppleEvent permissions.
I’ve added a NSAppleEventsUsageDescription key and the built apps works fine (the OS asks for permissions to send AppleEvents). I sign any app, which ends up in the App Wrapper folder (by the way: that folder is emptied each time without warning; hard to have two signed apps in the same folder) and that one doesn’t work (no dialog from the OS, just denial of using AppleEvents; like if the NSAppleEventsUsageDescription key wasn’t present. That key is actually present in the signed app, but near the end of the file (as opposed to near the top after the Xojo build)).
Just hoping it’s happening because the AW version is in beta…

It’s up to the OS what order the plist values are written to (or read). If It’s still there, but the OS is blocking Apple Script, are you using Sandboxing? If so, you need to enable the App Sandbox entitlement on the Capabilities pane.

I’m not using sandboxing. I’ve tried adding related applications in the “Apple Script & Apple Event access” list; wrapped applications still don’t work, but, once notarised, they start working again (I’ll have to remember not using the signed but not notarised copies of my apps). At this point, it looks like signing (but not notarising) invalidates something…

I don’t remember having seen that with prior versions of App Wrapper. Not sure I had specifically tested at the exact same step…

OK, it’s not behaving as I thought and responded… With the non-signed version, on my own computer, I either (1) get the OS dialog (app1 needs to control app2) for each call; for one click/keystroke to start the action, I must allow several times. Or (2) don’t get the dialog at all, as is happening now. I haven’t found a reliable pattern; I come back to my computer and either (1) or (2) can be current, for a long period.
Once signed (notarised makes no difference, as opposed to what I thought earlier), the OS never asks for permissions and the app just fails.
Currently, I have to use the unsigned version on my own computer, otherwise it just doesn’t work… Glad this specific app isn’t meant to be used elsewhere…
Apple’s choice of asking for permissions for everything is annoying users and programmers in the first place; yet, the concept fails more than it works. Isn’t that the definition of “absurd”?