Formatted Text Control Wish List

That honestly depends on what kind of output you’d like from it. If you want to store the formatting as HTML use a HTML control. If you want to store it as RTF or need the advanced features in FTC, then use FTC.

I believe both FTC and GraffitiHTML work in older versions of Xojo.

Nope. It happens when it happens. Very busy with consulting work and other products at the moment. FTC really needs to be rewritten but that’s a HUGE project that we aren’t planning for at the moment.

OK just saw this thread and thought I would ask. Thanks for the update.

[quote=367479:@Tim Turner]Bob, Any update on the update to FTC?

I need basic editing in my app for some disclaimers… font size, font type, bold, italicize, and that’s about it.

Should I use FTC or GraffitiHTMLEdit or something else?

Don’t mind paying for a control…

My main issue is that I am still on an older version of Xojo until I swap out the stylegrid control… which I’m doing very soon.[/quote]

i just purchase GraiifitiSuite which include the HTMLEditor after look at CKEditor and testing out on my application.
I manage to remove all the toolbar for the editor and leave just the bold, italic and underline and it work on both Mac and Window

can’t you just use a Xojo TextArea if you only need that features for text styles ?

You would still need to set and read the styling and turn it into HTML. The HTML editor handles that automatically. It’s a convenience thing, even for only a small selection of styles.

TextArea control is so buggy … Events not firing if you change the style of a character etc. A lot of workaround programming is needed.

I think I experimented with this in the past as a better script editor than the built in text control. What I really wanted to do was to be able to use auto complete. Sadly I needed to write apple scripts and many of the verbs that I wanted to auto complete are multiple words and the auto complete could work only on words that were single words and not phrases. So my request would be to have the auto complete system handle phrases more than just individual words :slight_smile: Of course, I might be remembering my experimenting with a completely different alternative text control, I can’t quite remember :wink:

i want to see the formatted text instead of the text with html code and then i need to be able to print those formatted text in my html reports

before i got this control, i have to use styled text in the text area and then need to convert them to html code and save it to be use later… so i have fields for html and styled text in my table… so much converting…

@Bob Keeney I really don’t understand you at this point. First you give a clear signal that the quality of current FTC justifies a rewrite, second you give us hope by investigating our wishes, and third you tell us not to wait for it because it’s even not on BKS schedule.

Well, next time I’ll just say nothing and leave you all wondering.

I just bought Formatted Text Control, and I asked some very simple and anticipated questions before reading, I wanted to know how the text was saved in the database and Bob Keeney, I agreed with him but he told me to review the examples, after reviewing the examples additional doubts arose but Bob was not very willing to help me, after a conversation he told me that he would block me and that he would use a free Text Control, I do not know what is happening with Bob, he seems irritated or does not like his job, Friend Bob, take things more relaxed and do not get lost so soon.

If someone knows how to set a background image or how to add a text as a header, I would appreciate it.

You have to do it by yourself via FTC.PrePageDraw-Event. But you need to know all the things you draw there won’t be save into the native FTC-Xml Export! Otherwise you have to integrate it by your own. Sometimes it’s bit tricky with the conversion of coordinates etc. You have to do some tests.

My wish would be a dynamic header/footer section, with its own XML/RTF import/export event, so that you can import and export all required dynamic variables to XML etc. (would be also fine to have access for these areas at the FTCIterator class). Of course, it would be great if the editable area of a page (pageHeight) would dynamically adjust to the height of the header/footer.

We can get into specifics on this forum, if you wish, but your multiple one sentence emails to me were not helpful from a support standpoint. I will stand by my 17 years in the community and helping countless developers do their stuff. I’m more than willing to help developers that are at least trying.

For the record, I never said I’d “block you”. I said, "If you think it would be better, I suppose I can simply ignore your emails. Look, I’m willing to help but your one sentence questions tell me you’ve not even looked at the source code and want an ‘easy button’. I’ve told you there is no easy button and then you get mad at me. There is a certain level of effort I expect customers to expend. " I then added “Feel free to use another styled text control that exports to PDF and includes all the source.”

Frankly, I’m more than happy to give you a refund. I don’t think FTC is going to suit your needs. It doesn’t support PDF export. It doesn’t support headers and footers (though Martin has a partial solution) and to do your background image while printing will require you to modify code in the print methods. None of the things you want are trivial.

Thanks Martin, your help was very useful, Bob, your control is good and I hope to continue receiving updates of your company, our communication was not correct, but finally I managed to print a background image and a text in the header thanks to Martin.

Greetings.

Please look for more information: Formatted Text Control - Microsoft Word Export is now available!