[Fixed] Stack overflow on Linux, not on Windows for same source code

[quote=13689:@Syed Hassan]I do not have a license, so will I be able to send feedback or a bug report based on the latest post of “Joe Ranieri”? If not then what could be the alternatives please apart from purchasing a license?
[/quote]
You can report using Feedback but you can’t rank your cases (and thus increase their score) without a license.

Hello,
Thank you “Geoff Perlman”, I shall try the feedback when it seems like something that can help me in finding a solution to the problem at hand.

That is indeed a good question, I must agree. And here is another one.

While programming in machine code on 8 bit microprocessors, stack used to be THE thing not to lose sight of, specially when porting the machine code from say the Intel 8085A to the Zilog Z80 or the Motorola 6809. How could the system designers and system testers at RB/Xojo lose sight of this?

Hopefully I shall return to pursue this matter in earnest if and when there are good few hundred dollars to spare for purchasing the license. In the meantime, this pursuit may continue for a short while here in this forum.

Thanks and Regards,

Shahid.

There are a good many other platform differences that you’ll have to watch out for. Xojo provide cross-platform development, not platform-agnostic development. You seem to be advocating for the latter. If you want the exact same result regardless of platform, use a platform-agnostic language, such as java. You won’t get native controls or be able to take advantage of OS-specific features as easily, but you’ll get the same result on each platform. I prefer Xojo’s approach, however, even though it does require making certain adjustments on each platform.

‘In other words, of what use is a claim that RB/Xojo can build application for Windows, Linux and MAC OS from same source code if the “Integer” data type on Windows (for example) can hold a value range of 0 to 65535 while on Linux the same “Integer” data type can only hold a value range of 0 to 255?’

Then you would have a choice. Either use “Integer” to get the native form for speed, or use “Int16” or “Int8” to define the exact length you want. (This may become reality in the future, as “Integer” is currently defined as native-length, now always 32 but could one day be 64 on some platforms.)

Hello,
Thank you “J Andrew Lipscomb”. Your post remains valid within the context of the quoted question. However that question was posed to high light that the behaviour and function of various data types and objects in RB/Xojo is more or less same across Windows, Linux and MAC OS and that the stack size (being a critical resource) made available by B/Xojo to the main thread of the application, should also be same across Windows, Linux and MAC OS.

Thank you “Tim Hare”. I am not expecting RB/Xojo to be platform-agnostic. The reported problem has been indicated as a bug for Linux build by the RS/Xojo technical staff member “Joe Ranieri” in his latest post above. The two viable solutions (namely the Linux command “ulimit –Ss ” and the “Soft Declare” call to “setrlimit”) to the reported problem, both failed to increase the stack size that is made available by RB/Xojo to the main thread of the application because of the bug identified by “Joe Ranieri”. It is now only a matter of getting a solution for this, as all my initial questions have been answered. Any other platform and RB specific differences are mostly identified already like the “Obtaining the path and file names of files from clipboard that have been copied in to clipboard in Windows, Linux or MAC OS file explorer” and “Building a ‘Find’ dialogue for ‘TextArea’ text”. I guess these are the only two remaining known issues for the VB6 application migrated to RB.

Thanks and Regards,

Shahid.

Hello,
Thanks to Xojo and all the members of Xojo forum that participated in this discussion with their valuable advice and kind assistance.

The reported problem has been fixed in Xojo 2013r2, reference “Feedback 27513”.

Thanks and Regards,

Shahid.