Filemaker equivalents in XOJO

i have been using SQLiteManager from SQLabs for ages

Just curious:
what are-you doing with these applications ?

When I write more complex SQL, I prefer to do it in a tool and then bring it back into the IDE once I know it is optimized and does what I am looking for it to do. It also gives me a chance to play with indexes and check out the query execution plans. With JetBrainsā€™ PyCharm, I can do some of that right in the IDE.

I havenā€™t done anything with Valentina yet, other than to just take a look at it. I just purchased the OmegaBundle that included Valentina Studio Pro, but have not had a chance to really switch to it yet.

OK, thank you.

Hello Stephen, you certainly donā€™t need to purchase Xojo plugins to work with Excel files or legacy Filemaker databases for free from with Xojo. I use shell commands (or more precisely) cross platform PowerShell calls (Win/Mac/Linux) to well documented and community maintained libraries to manipulate Excel files(create / read / write / recalculate / save as etc) data or to transform any legacy Filemaker data I am required to access. I try not to (as in never) use Xojo Plugins. If I recall correctly a presentation from the last Powershell Summit (conference) it was mentioned there were now more than 96,000 cross platform libraries across all manner of functionality. In one of my Xojo Web Apps, I consolidate financials from a number of Excel files, performing some adjustments before presenting a summary in a WebListBox. I then edit the source Excel files with updates to budgets for the next month.

In itā€™s simplest form Xojo, is a drag and drop visual screen or web page designer. The controls you drag on screen are event driven and each control has related properties. Getting familiar with the controls and their events (actions) is the best place to start (especially the ListBox/WebListBox if your planned apps are data centric). Deeper programming concepts will follow with experience.

Migrating from Filemaker to Xojo is like moving out of your parents house and into your first apartment. Freedom (for sure), but youā€™ll need to learn a few new skills before you can live wellā€¦

If you are not convinced you want to go on that journey, then Iā€™d recommend you check out some of the low code environments (like Ninox, Airtable or Infinity). More like Filemaker, in a sense that they are databases with scripting and automation, but IMO opinion those listed blow FM out of the water on price and the ability to deliver apps fast (especially if you consider yourself a citizen developer). On a tight timeline, we rebuilt our internal CRM in Ninox in under a week (mimicking almost every automation we had built into our previous system).

I hope that helpsā€¦

1 Like

Great advice here from an another ex FileMaker user.

My mind is buzzing with the opportunities to develop solutions you would never be able to achieve in Filemaker. I love SQLite - its so flexible and easy to work with. Perfect for web applications or when you just want a lightweight DB - with some of the newer features like generated columns it has become even more powerful.

The other thing is the user community here is extremely helpful - I always felt a little isolated on FileMaker (mainly as the forums are so bad after the change a year or so ago). Given the nature of the product you have many users with a wider range of experience than the typical FileMaker user which helps too.

1 Like

I would have to agree with the comments here. A big difference between developing in the two environments. Iā€™m currently doing Filemaker devlopment for several clients. I started looking more closely into Xojo when FM decided to deprecate runtimes. I had one client that wanted a solution that would run on both Mac and Windows. I ran into some difficulty due to Filemakerā€™s lack of being able to use SQL queries any where. I ended up developing in an old version of RealBASIC that I had. This was really the beginning of my journey back to Xojo. The only limitation is your own head unlike Filemaker.

Vince, in your last sentence do you mean, with XOJO you are limited by your own abilities/ imagination whereas in FM, FM becomes the limitation?

yes I believe thatā€™s what he means - like I said a world of opportunity has been opened for me since leaving FileMaker. I find myself having to focus of one area at a time though as my mind is racing ahead with possibilities - I always felt like I was fighting FileMaker in that it restricted me too much.

2 Likes

That is correct.