f.launch does not work under Catalina

One thing is for sure, now they won’t be able to blame it on Jony Ives :smiley:

Always blame the French… :wink:

I have see this where the launch fails and then executing the same code again works. 19r1.1 and 10.15b4.

As for mottos, don’t forget -

“Change for the sake of change.”

and

“Apps are not the OS, but touting actual OS changes is boring.”

strange, the launch work on catalina using 2019r1.1

Depends the nature of what you launch. A document does. Not an app. But it should not be an issue in R2.

i guess i was opening doc,xls, csv, pdf and images…

Right. That is not broken in 2019R1.1 compiled apps under Catalina.

To summarize, I was never able to folderitem.launch applications in Catalina, except with executables compiled with 2019R2.

I have this with my application that has not changed in over a year (this code at least). Now I have it running in Xojo 2019R3 and all of a sudden it isn’t launching my PDF’s anymore?!

Yup, loaded the code in R2 and it’s working again… So this is surely changed:

R2: folderitem.launch is working normally

R3: folderitem.launch is working for only half of my files, manual is stating that .launch is now deprecated and that I should use folderitem.open, but that is resulting in a 10810 error in the OS and crashing my app.

Hello,
there seems to be a problem with folderitem.launch and folderitem.open with the newest Xojo versions when you are trying to launch a file on a volume that uses the MS-DOS (FAT16 oder FAT32) format. Also when you copy a file from an MS-DOS (FAT16 oder FAT32) fromatted file system (for example an USB-thumb drive or SD-Card) to a macOS file system folderitem.launch and folderitem.open do not work. I made a feeback case (<https://xojo.com/issue/58856>), you can only see it when you are a beta tester.
At the moment you can ShowURL(FolderItem.URLPath) - that still works.

My files are on a Mac server with older OS-X server software and an afp file system. Some files launch/open oke, some do not launch or let my app crash when I use the open command.

I went (temporarily) back to R2 and everything works fine.