Expected Input Format [Metric]

[quote=379183:@Philip Cumpston]Ok
How about a setup page where the user accepts a contract to use either metric or imperial as the default data entry? You could also check location and automatically determine if commas or decimal points should be used, although this may it be necessary as your conversion function could easily check for that[/quote]
that is what is does… but it is really only necessary for the OUTPUT side, since it can determine which format on the Input
If you look at the code you will see a reference to optionMETRIC this is set on the “setup page” you refer to

D’Oh
Missed optionMetric
I was trying to read on my iPhone while waiting for my daughter to grade from white belt to yellow in TaeKwondo.
Really reflecting on how I might solve my own problem - didn’t mean to sound like I was telling you what to do. I am glad my thinking was in accord with that of a much more experienced developer.

In NZ we use metric with a . as the decimal separator. We would never use “5m 50cm” it would always be either 5.5m or 550cm. Translating Imperial foots & inches type nomenclature just doesn’t compute sorry.

Strangely enough in industry we use m or mm, but in the rag trade (clothing) it is all in cm.

What is the thousands separator ? Comma like in the US ?

Same thing in France.

Technically we would use a space, but financially it would be a comma.

I realize that would never be a common usage, but I always try to plan for “worst case”

For this parser, a space as the thousands separator, would NOT work… but again I was planning for distances normally less that 100 feet (30 meters)

I all my life, I have never, ever, seen the form “5m 50cm”. If you think about it, it makes more sense in Imperial values with something like “5 yards and 18 inches”, because each measurement has a different base. In Metric system, I can just as well write “5,50m” or “550cm”.

I understand this… not sure why it keeps getting rehashed…

Sorry for trying to help. You have a way to encourage participation. I don’t know why :confused:

Ignoring this bitter thread.

Michel. I wasn’t trying to be bitter… its just that what you said had been said a dozen times previously

BTW, using “u” for “mm” is used only internally for that, I hope, and not displayed. Because “u” is often a replacement for µ, i.e. micro, which is 1/1000mm (a millionth of a meter)

Depends on what it will be used for. Say engineering mostly uses millimeters (mm) as a standard. But tools like autodesk have legends that say the metric usage and on build plans for example.

If you need it for huge numbers 10m+ use meter (m) or centimeter (cm) and clearly state it will use that or provide options for that.

yes… it is never displayed… it was to let the parser be easier… with too many “M”'s mm, cm, M

If the code is useful, great… if not, so be it… it works for what I want, the way I need it to… I was just trying to be helpful,

On the Mac, you can quickly see those by opening System Preferences, Language & Region, and then choose the Region to see how numbers get formatted.

In German, for instance, this is one thousand and one quarter: 1.000,25
Which must be quite confusing to the U.S. reader, just like with dates: 4.3.2018 (German) = 3/4/2018 (US) (and, sadly, some countries, and even German web designers, use “/” for the D/M/Y order, making it even harder to tell them apart when visiting an international site. Hence I recommend always to write the month in letters, especially on web sites, like this: 4 Mar 2018).

I know that you know that, I just wanted to re-iterate that for everyone reading this thread.