EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL) crash - Xojo version dependent in 32 bit

Agreed. Adding a check to see if the context is null before flushing did not help, which points to something else I have not found yet.

Oh, big question, and somewhat out of the post subject, but I will digress a bit.
My software connects with measuring instruments for which most 64 bit drivers are available only since last summer, and sometimes early fall. These 64 bit drivers are provided for the latest instruments and we are stuck with 32 bit drivers for legacy instruments. On WIndows, 32 bit apps are still perfectly usable (unless of course you need something specifically tied to 64 bit…).

Yes, most of my time last year was spent dealing with 64 bit transition and Apple validation requirements…
This affects all software developers including those developing the tools, like you, the instrument manufacturers, the plugin developers, and Xojo of course. I hope and expect some calm in transitioning related workload in 2020.

This sounds like what I see, adding of course the various significant Xojo releases and the 32 bit to 64 bit transition. It is like going ahead in moving sands.