Example Screen Shot of Your inApp User Tutorial? [Updated]

Christoph I’ll check when I get back. It was a font I downloaded and installed.

Why would it be a good idea? That is a fine control but I am using MacOSLib using the cocoa frame work directly. This isn’t hard and can be done probably atleast 3-4 ways :slight_smile:

So you are using images instead of text labels?
The font is close to Comic Sans MS - which is installed on all OSX version. I would prefer using that instead of a custom font though.

BTW Is there a way to get such semi-transparent black window on Windows too?

What’s An interesting question? :slight_smile:

[quote=134973:@Christoph De Vocht]So you are using images instead of text labels?
The font is close to Comic Sans MS - which is installed on all OSX version. I would prefer using that instead of a custom font though.

BTW Is there a way to get such semi-transparent black window on Windows too?[/quote]

I am using OS x also and all wording on this window are text labels using the don’t I installed on my system. I never have researched the windows opacity equivalent but hopefully Michel or others reading this can help with those win declares.

There is an example included with Xojo which shows xplat window opacity. Examples → Advanced → Declares → Window Opacity. I have never tested it on Windows but I assume it works.

Keep in mind other OSX users will not see what you see if they did not installed the custom font. If the font is not found it will use the System font - which is not very nice for such Tutorial window. :slight_smile:

Didn’t know this. Thanks.
Well, I don’t know much about Windows - I am porting one of my OS X apps to Windows for the first time - knowing I never used Windows before it is quite a shock - I guarantee :slight_smile:

Christoph the font I used for all my wording on the overlay Tutorial windows are “Architects Daughter”.

HTH :slight_smile:

Hmm are you sure? I have tested this on my iMac and other mac OS X implementations and all used my fonts… I never even thought of that… However so far the beta testing was successful as I was using Team viewer with a tester and saw it myself. I know he didn’t have that font installed.

Any thoughts on why?

Thank you for pointing this out! I assumed it would compile into my app I guess.

Fonts can be installed within the Mac OS X application so no need to install in the system. I have done that in all my font apps in the MAS.

See https://forum.xojo.com/5179-mac-os-custom-fonts

[quote=134989:@Michel Bujardet]Fonts can be installed within the Mac OS X application so no need to install in the system. I have done that in all my font apps in the MAS.

See https://forum.xojo.com/5179-mac-os-custom-fonts[/quote]
Awesome and much thanks Michel! This is/will be a great learning experience as I just introduced custom fonts in my apps.

Thanks!!

Just be careful that you have the license to distribute the fonts as part of a commercial project.

Back to the original question, we have an interactive tour for our application; you can mouse over the magnifying glasses and they display info.

We do it using an OverlayMBS.

Hamish I remember you showing me this at XDC and I am still majorly impressed!!! :slight_smile: Your implementation is top notch!

Apple’s old Apple help where it would guide you through how t accomplish a task was still a very nice thing for a lot of users
Wish they’d never killed that

Cheers, Mike. Tom can claim the credit for most of it - but I did a lot of the writing, and the animation, too. The tricky thing was to make them attach to the app when it’s moved around (and work on more than one screen!). The other neat thing about Tom’s implementation of it is that each glass is attached to a control, with a position (e.g. top left, top middle, top right, centre left, centre middle etc.), so if we move the control on the canvas, the helper moves too. Took a while but it means we can forget about it if we decide to shift things on the app.

that is awesome.