eSellerate Plugin / Rolling Your Own Licensing System

I’m actually getting quite excited about this now instead of stressed.

The notion of taking back the power feels good! :slight_smile:

In terms of communicating securely with the web validation app via https, what would be the best method?

Secure socket and SOAP passing XML or JSON object?

[quote=284834:@Denise Adams]I’m actually getting quite excited about this now instead of stressed.

The notion of taking back the power feels good! :slight_smile:

In terms of communicating securely with the web validation app via https, what would be the best method?

Secure socket and SOAP passing XML or JSON object?[/quote]
So is https required to supply AQ licenses? I am looking for an option which is good for mantainence in the long run but also I want to start on a budget and I do not want to pay the extra money for HTTPS. Thanks

I assumed AquaticPrime is a commercial option btw. Wow, I thought you had to pay for it. I suppose it’s great to have a community backing your project. Thankyou to those helping on the forum and with the whole AquaticPrime project!

That would depend on your setup, but I would think it’s not a requirement.
SSL certificates are available for free by the way, https://letsencrypt.org

[quote=284976:@Tim Parnell]That would depend on your setup, but I would think it’s not a requirement.
SSL certificates are available for free by the way, https://letsencrypt.org[/quote]
Oh thanks!

Excellent… It does seem a little scary and I put it off for the longest time; but there’s nothing like being in control. You can do what you like and be open to selling through many vendors. Which is better business wise IMHO.

I will be the contrarian view here: Doing everything yourself is fine if you have the time, inclination, patience, and experience to implement it yourself. There are times when you just don’t want to mess with something due to . Many of the people responding here are seasoned Xojo developers with years of experience so they’ve either done it already or have a good understanding of what to do.

For many - especially newbies - payment processing and licensing and registration is a pain and they’re happy with using a 3rd party solution. Yes, you are beholden to someone else for the solution but if you can get your project up and running in days instead of weeks it might be worth it to you. If you feel like a newbie I would strongly consider using Fastspring with Aquatic Prime. I think you could get it integrated with your project in a day or two with minimal fuss. Writing your own solution? Probably way more than that.

Personally, I’m okay with letting a 3rd party handle the payment processing. Dealing with all of the various tax authorities is daunting. The last thing you want is to is get in trouble with a government entity.

I just realized AQ is for Mac with ‘partial’ support for Windows. So I assume I want to look somewhere else if my app is for Windows? :confused:

I might go for something like this. http://www.excelsoftware.com/pluginxojoqlrt Would I be able to use this with a basic hosting service and do something like uploading PHP file(s) to your website? Do they host the license server themselves or what?

I don’t have a team of developers so I don’t want to have to have the headache of maintaining my own license system.

Thanks

Thanks, Sam! If you have any pointers or code examples that might help please post here or PM me :slight_smile:

I agree, Bob. It all depends on your experience and how much time you want to dedicate to something like this. For me personally I feel it may be worth it.

Maybe Thomas can explain what “partial” support means in practical terms for using AQ on Windows?

[quote=285008:@Denise Adams]Thanks, Sam! If you have any pointers or code examples that might help please post here or PM me :slight_smile:

I agree, Bob. It all depends on your experience and how much time you want to dedicate to something like this. For me personally I feel it may be worth it.

Maybe Thomas can explain what “partial” support means in practical terms for using AQ on Windows?[/quote]
I’m thinking there must be a reason why ExcelSoftware is supplying this and pricing it for a fair amount of money if there is a free option. It probably has better support considering AQ doesn’t seem to be heavily supported (for new updates), judging by what the developer says.

I have been using for years my own system where the name of the user is encrypted and formatted to create the license number. In its principle, that is what AQ does. Except my system is perfectly cross platform. But it maybe too simple for some. Complexity is an addictive drug for some…

Actually, if you just use a secret key in your app and on your website, and each encrypts their data with it, then you can use unprotected http or a normal socket, as listening in on your connection will not reveal what’s inside.

Huh, what? My AQ code (open source) for Xojo works on both Mac and Windows. Linux, too, at least the relevant part, i.e. the part that you need to VERIFY the license. License generation is not working on Windows, I believe, but if you have a Mac or Linux machine, that should be no problem.

Sorry, my bad. Well if it works fine on both platforms then that’s awesome. Also, I didn’t realize you were the developer.

Only for the Xojo code.

Oh, it may not work in 64 bit, yet. Haven’t checked.

[quote=285044:@Thomas Tempelmann]Only for the Xojo code.

Oh, it may not work in 64 bit, yet. Haven’t checked.[/quote]
I will have to try it out. Thanks

[quote=285044:@Thomas Tempelmann]Only for the Xojo code.

Oh, it may not work in 64 bit, yet. Haven’t checked.[/quote]
‘Redefined indetifier. The name is already defined by intrinsic type Uint32 opaque as Uint32’ is one of the errors it shows when I open the project file in the RealBasic folder. I am using Xojo 2015r1 on Windows.

I intend to make a test app with AQ on Windows initially that will create the license file and also provide a means of validating it. Once I know that works I will move onto the next step but for me initially I guess I’d need that part to work on Windows. Is there any way I can modify the code to get that part to work on Windows? Once that it working I intend to put the license generation in a asp.net web app using C# and it seems the GitHub repo has a sample for that.

Understood. But I have never communicated with a web app before from a desktop app and wondered what was the best method of sending and receiving data? SOAP with XML/JSON object? If so, does Xojo have a good framework implementation of that?

[quote=285055:@Denise Adams]I intend to make a test app with AQ on Windows initially that will create the license file and also provide a means of validating it. Once I know that works I will move onto the next step but for me initially I guess I’d need that part to work on Windows. Is there any way I can modify the code to get that part to work on Windows? Once that it working I intend to put the license generation in a asp.net web app using C# and it seems the GitHub repo has a sample for that.

Understood. But I have never communicated with a web app before from a desktop app and wondered what was the best method of sending and receiving data? SOAP with XML/JSON object? If so, does Xojo have a good framework implementation of that?[/quote]
Can we not use PHP and server side code to handle license generation? :confused: I missed the comment of Thomas saying that it doesn’t work on Windows.

Thanks