End of script output before headers line 118

I keep getting the following, very aggravating error… I have seen quite a few similiar posts on the forum but I still can’t get past it… I am running Xojo 2019r3.1 in this project, uploading to an linux web server running Apache. It does have libunwind installed; that was an earlier error message.

I have tried this on my server and a separate server provided by my net provider; I can see my error message on my server, of course, and have no idea what the error is on their server, but it gives a 500 error instead.

I do have other xojo cgi programs running on my server; it does run on my development machine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The /var/log/httpd/error_message log is as follows:

End of script output before headers: wportman.cgi
[Mon Nov 09 15:52:03.797922 2020] [cgi:error] [pid 29644] [client xxxxxxxxx] AH01215: Can’t use an undefined value as a symbol reference at /data/www/cgi-bin/wportman/wportman.cgi line 118.: /data/www/cgi-bin/wportman/wportman.c
gi
[Mon Nov 09 15:52:03.801818 2020] [cgi:error] [pid 29644] [clientxxxxxxxxxx] End of script output before headers: wportman.cgi

I’m not super familiar with CGI deployment, but I think I’ve seen it that 500 is common if your app is crashing. Have you got it running locally? Have you deployed standalone? Could I interest you in Lifeboat?

It runs on my development machine, but not when deployed to the server.

When running on your local machine, it’s the same as running on a server as Standalone. When you deploy as CGI, a CGI script is created and uploaded with the app to control the application. Here’s a relevant thread that may help:

Yes… I read through that post before postung my question. I do have other xojo programs running and have the config file set for auto port as auggested in that thread but it did not help.

This error is caused by the Xojo app either crashing or taking too long to respond to the CGI script.

Remember, with CGI the request/response goes like this:

Browser > Web Server > cgi script > Xojo App > cgi script > web server > Browser.

If the app fails to respond or goes away, the socket that’s created in the cgi script will time out, giving you the error you posted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.