Dynamic Controls - What am I doing wrong???

[quote=216558:@Dave S]I don’t know why everyone keeps saying it takes 14 different views to support “i” devices without using AutoLayout.
The app is only running on ONE device at a time… and assuming you need to support both Port and Land that is TWO views.
It is such a simple matter to calculate the appropriate position (and size if required) of each control in the view. And something that I don’t think AL can do, change the FONTSIZE … Also, in some cases you might want/need to layout the controls differently (say between an iPhone4s and 6+) …

Plus you have the ability to move controls around much more easily.

But then this is my view and my opinion… and I will allow those who are AL believers to continue, as those of us who are to be considered “blasphemous” will also continue… Seems it is time to add a 3rd item to the list of subjects that cannot be argued.

Religion, Politics and AutoLayout[/quote]

Dave, the simple truth is, when you manage yourself size and position of controls relative to the view size, you are doing your own kind of Auto Layout thing, pretty much like I have been doing with RubberViews in Desktop and Web.

Using such method indeed means you can use two views to accommodate portrait and landscape.

As you refer to theology, we need some precisions about angel’s genre, though.

I call setting control size and position relative to the view autoscale, analogous to what comes in Android.

Auto Layout does not simply use positions and scale relative to the view. It allows setting controls relative to each other, to grow only so much or shrink up to a limit, to keep their aspect ratio or not, and even to move around depending on orientation (see http://rubberviews.com/cgi-bin/rubberviewswe/rubberviewswe.cgi click Auto Layout only).

From the simple catechism of keeping things in proportion, one enters the subtleties and exceptions of multiple interaction between controls and their size.

I am rather agnostic when it comes to programming. What works for you work for you. But Auto Layout may not be the evil you describe. Besides, in Xojo, as everything there, it is far easier to implement that in XCode.

There. I talked auto layout at the diner table. Now all hell will break lose and we’ll feud forever and ever :wink:

LOL… No Michel, we shall not feud forever, or even for a day.

:slight_smile: