Doing Xojos job with re-verifying bugs in new Feedback

Could you answer Karen’s question from above?

3 Likes

Hi Karen, I actually started replying to you in this thread earlier but didn’t want to help drive it further off topic. But since Mr. Heavens has specifically requested, I will say I am not dismissing your concerns or the concerns voiced by members of this forum. But when Xojo makes decisions we consider our entire userbase, a fraction of which is on this forum and an even smaller fraction of which is vocal (in the way you are implying) on this forum. Yes, we are reading this thread and are aware of the strong emotions. But our annual survey of Xojo users and renewal metrics don’t reflect your experience as that of the majority of Xojo users. We will continue to base our decisions on feedback we get from many sources, one of which is this forum. If you want to discuss this further you can reach out to me privately or start a new thread but let’s keep things on topic in this one.

9 Likes

Which blog is this?

Thanks.

I’ve thought about this for a while, my main thoughts are inline with @Beatrix_Willius and @anon20074439

Over the last 6 or so years, I’ve slowed down reporting issues and feature requests not just to Xojo, but to other companies as well.

Xojo appears to have put more attention on my issues recently, as they did notify me that they’ve completed 4 of my cases with 2021r3 (which is way better than Apple, and with a significantly less operational budget).

I find the whole Xojo 2.0 thing to be very frustrating (as Xojo staff know). Re-writing things because the Xojo language and controls were simplified for others, doesn’t bring joy, and reduces my enthusiasm.

I am in two minds about the whole bug reporting system, as I feel that the current system does not work well for those of us who’ve used the product for long time, with issues that affect only a couple of customers. I understand there needs to be triage, so I don’t know what the best solution is.

<Sigh/> I don’t get to spend as much time as I like in front of the computer at the moment (due to other obligations), I already have to work around whatever crappy issues that Apple throws in my face, replace massive chunks of the Ohanaware App Kit due to Xojo 2.0, that I’ll probably not invest much of my time into verification of outstanding issues.

I think the whole process would go easier if I could just give Xojo a handful of Important case numbers (things that I can’t workaround, or things that I feel a little elbow grease from Xojo would make it a much better product), and then flush the rest down the toilet. Sure some useful things would be lost, but I feel that is a better compromise than for me to spend hours or days going through all my open cases.

5 Likes

I have over 1500 cases of my own.
And so many in favorites, that Feedback can’t even load that list any more :frowning:
(feedback case 66870)

I can go through a few open cases every day and look if they are still valid and put in a comment, that they are still current. But you can’t expect everyone to do that. Some people left the platform.

1 Like

Me, too.
On the way to Feedback on the Web, I assume Xojo Inc. will fix many issues in the Web framework to make this work well. The listbox really will have to handle thousands of entries flawless and it has to be responsive even with 100 people logged in.

4 Likes

They’ve said they are moving to a web-based feedback system but do we actually know they are using Web 2.0 to develop it?

Yes, they are using Web 2.0 to develop the new Feedback system.

2 Likes

This (63136) is a great example of a baffling response. It seems clear to me that if a control is locked, then nothing should be able to move it, including using arrow keys. How is being able to move the object without unlocking it “by design”? Can someone explain the logic behind this?

"This case has been closed because the behavior described is not a bug.

• Status changed from ‘Reproducible’ to ‘Closed (By Design)’.
  • Report closed. This case was not ranked."
1 Like

My guess is that some users requested that. Maybe, sometimes, those users wanted to adjust the control ‘just a bit’ and the process of unlocking, press arrow once, lock again was too much.

That design is not yet available in Web 2.0. In Web 2.0 a locked control can’t be moved with the arrows. Case 65566.

I’m having a hard time deciding what I would like to see in Feedback. Right now I have over 150 open cases, but the “My Cases” view in feedback is not easy to work with (it shows only Type, Rank, Summary, and Status). It doesn’t show, for example: Date, Case#, Product, or Category. As a result, when I think about trying to curate my own bug list, I get frustrated.

For example, I’m done with Web 1.0, so I would be happy to close out any Web 1.0 bug reports, but it’s an arduous task to do so.

Also, the CASES (recently viewed cases) navigator has been broken in Big Sur, so it’s really hard to use.

Is the new Web Feedback going to be easier to use? Can you share with us any of the proposed UI changes? That would help me give advice on how I could be more productive with bug reports.

To be honest, I have not bothered to report bugs on feedback for a long time. It’s like throwing your bug reports in the bin. In fact, I have not installed it for a long time.

I understand that it is not easy to look at all the bugs, analyse them and possibly fix them, but the current system simply does not work. Neither does Apple bug tracker. :slight_smile:

I would love to provide the solution but honestly, I do not have a solution ready.

What would certainly help is if Xojo Inc would listen to the experienced users among us instead of changing things that may not really be necessary and in turn introduce new bugs (and frustrations).

Sometimes Xojo Inc makes it far too difficult for itself by seeming to do things right.

Just my two cent and if this does not match the Forum rules, feel free to remove this message. No hard feelings.

3 Likes

On occasion, I feel this way, but most of the time I don’t. When I submit a really good bug report (e.g. with a small project uploaded the reproduces the issue) the chance of it getting fixed is much better than zero.

However, there are times when it feels like even my “good” reports get lost in the shuffle - I wonder if there’s a process issue inside Xojo? For example, is it possible that they assign bugs to specific engineers, but some bugs never get assigned and fall through the cracks?

Never gone to the “View” menu where you can “Customize List Columns”?

1 Like

Yes it does. Use the gear in the lower left of the list and choose “Customize List Columns.”

It’s really not. In my experience, a well-written bug report is usually handled. Not always, but usually. Of my recent cases, 20 are bug reports and of those 20, only 6 are still open. 1 of those is an auto report so it’s basically useless. That’s not bad, in my opinion.

1 Like

Interesting. I did try the idiom on macOS which is to right-click the listbox headers, and nothing happened, so I assumed that feature didn’t exist. (Lack of listbox support, such as drag-reorder columns and right-click to edit is one of those long-standing “I wish Xojo supported more native features” limitations).

In any case, with more columns showing it will be a bit easier to clean out my old reports. Thank you.

I’ll always remember about one bug I’ve submitted around 10 years ago concerning AppleEventObjectSpecifiers turning to AppleEventRecords automatically, with no reason.
Sounds rather easy to resolve and doesn’t look like it would impact a lot of other parts in the framework.
But has just been ignored all these years.

Yes, some bugs will never be resolved. I’m not saying that isn’t true. But to say there is no value in filing is just wrong.