Display ALL characters for a given font?

you know that OS X will substitute missing glyphs?

Showing characters of a given font makes only sense if font contains the character…

How did you originally get the list of JUST the Latin characters?

[quote=194050:@Christian Schmitz]you know that OS X will substitute missing glyphs?

Showing characters of a given font makes only sense if font contains the character…[/quote]

Since Richard wants a character picker, I can only suppose he is not after looking for pictures in a dingbat, but rather to accented or unusual characters the user will look for. If you look at the way Emoji & Symbols works in OSX, unlike the Windows counterpart, it does not let you pick a particular font. It shows all the characters in the Latin family, and whatever you pick will be rendered by the system, substitution or not, but you will get that character. I am doing just the same.

It is just an example. I started with my previous code, waited until the TextArea was filled, then copied manually all the characters I needed to a TextEdit document.

Ahh - thanks.

[code] dim chars() as string

dim e as TextEncoding = Encodings.ISOLatin1
for i as integer = 32 to 255
chars.Append e.chr(i)
next

MsgBox Join(chars, “”)[/code]

This lists all ISO Latin1 Characters.

[quote=194057:@Christian Schmitz][code] dim chars() as string

dim e as TextEncoding = Encodings.ISOLatin1
for i as integer = 32 to 255
chars.Append e.chr(i)
next

MsgBox Join(chars, “”)[/code]

This lists all ISO Latin1 Characters.[/quote]

Excellent idea. Works for isoLatin1 through iSOLatin7. Characters 130-255 usually differ, although there are redundancies.

This fairly fast and nice to obtain tab separated strings to feed into a ListBox to make something similar to the double clickable Mac OS X character picker.

128 to 255 to be precise.

Yes, usually Euro, but then 129 is never used.

CharPicker

Very interesting - I will take a closer look at that.

Thank you Michel :wink:

One of the things strange about that is that some characters do not show before upside down exclamation :
?€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹Œ‘’“”•–—˜/trademarkš›œŸ

At any rate, the project I posted is a start to emulate the system character picker with pretty much the same interface.

On another note, since that character picker does not copy styled text, it copies in whichever font is selected in the application you paste to.

Yes. Πis chr(338), so it will never show. All the characters looking like missing simply do not seem to exist under 255. I guess they will have to be added manually, as well as what shows as white space will simply have to be skipped. I also looked at Unicode.Org for the Latin pages, but they are not numbered 1-9 as in Xojo.

They come as

Latin Basic Latin (ASCII) Latin-1 Supplement Latin Extended-A Latin Extended-B Latin Extended-C Latin Extended-D Latin Extended-E Latin Extended Additional Latin Ligatures Fullwidth Latin Letters

Looking at these charts I see no correspondence at all with current Latin encodings in Xojo.