Different OS X versions in a VM

Anyone know what i need to do to install the various version of MaxOSX on VirtualBox?? I got all the different version of MacOSX download from Mac App Store. I am running El Capitan MacOSX 10.11.4.

Yes it works well and should be faster than over the fastest WiFi.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/compare.html is thorough enough to use for deciding between Pro or not.

[quote=261669:@Michael Diehr]A big issue with OS X under VMs: the video drivers aren’t very good, so many OpenGL/OpenCL things (and ultimately a lot of OS X features) don’t work, or are software rendered instead of using hardware.

I don’t know if Core Image would function differently in a VM but it sure might.[/quote]
Very good point… They do offer a FREE trial, so I’ll find some time and download and it set-up with OS X Cap, if it crashes it’s good, if not then it’s no good… Strange way to evaluate things!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your input.

You’re right, unfortunately for me, it’s a no go at the moment. I’ll contact VMWare to see if there’s something I’m doing wrong or some tips they have, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get GPU support working at all.

I’ve installed the VMWare tools and enabled “Accelerated 3D Graphics” in the VM settings, although there is a message to say that it’s not support in this guest operating system (which I’ve installed OS X Cap).

I was really impressed with how it offered to install the OS from the recovery partition, everything went smoothly until I got the horrible OS X installer, 6 attempts it took to log-in to the App Store, and over an hour to download and install El Cap. Simply terrible.

I put the old crashy application on the VM and it crashed in a different place, I put the new in-development app in the VM… With our GPU support… It updated at about 0~1 fps (opposed to 100~300fps in the host OS) and then Core image crashed.

So yeah it crashes, I just don’t even get it to the place where it normally crashes and the working version (on a real Mac, is also not working in the VM).

There we go, found the answer, VMWare Tools are not supported in El Cap as a guest.
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2129534

Might be different if I use this for Yosemite, but it obviously means it won’t help when Apple release their next OS release. Guess it means I need a new machine :slight_smile:

I too use VMWare Fusion 7 to run OSX10.6, 10.8 and 10.9 to test my apps. It is also handy to check if your app is working/looking fine for non-retina devices when you only have Retina devices yourself.

By default the drivers aren’t good but you need to install the options drivers when you use Fusion. You can then use the full resolution, retina and it is pretty fast and all animations work fine too.

Just FYI, the Pro features are really handy if you’re trying to track down a network latency issue. As I recall, both Parallels and VMWare have tools at the Pro level which work like the Network Link Conditioner on OS X.

FWIW, I use both VMWare and Parallels as I find different environments to be more stable in each of them, however Parallels is no longer my favorite with their new “stay subscribed or else” mentality.

I use Parallels for this purpose. In my opinion it is a big advance that you can have several VMs running at the same time assumed there is enough memory available. Parallels makes management of the different VMs very easy.

Not sure what you mean. You can also have as many VMs running in VMware Fusion as memory allows.

Ok, thanks for this info. I didn’t know that.

Can you say more about that? is that a separate download and install?

In one of the menus there’s an option to Install VMWare tools.

Yes, the optional drivers are not installed by default. If I am not mistaken, you need to install the VM Tools. At least in version 7