Did graphics get hugely slower in 2017?

In both scenarios, the target is (what I thought was ) a 10 x 10 area.
In both scenarios, ‘something’ is squashed to that size.
In one method the ‘something’ is ‘part of a big image’, in the other it is ‘all of a small image’

But I just realised is that the 0,0,64,64 stuff should be saying 0,0,63,63 …

Sascha gets me …

And there is the problem: I often read the forum on my iPad while in the bus or train (and I would imagine I’m not the only one). And if you throw in that it’s a “graphics benchmark” then the reaction becomes “Huh? Frames per second or what?”. Sure, I figured it out, but I would still say it is not the best way of presenting results. As Sascha said, a legend should always be included.

Ahh well, I can’t look into it any more at the moment as I have seemingly found a bug: <https://xojo.com/issue/52481>

Thank you for looking at it Julian.
I contacted Xojo direct, they asked me to post a bug report. #52480
My findings were initially specific to the switch from 2015 Mac to 2017/8
Your nasty bug is on Windows, but will hit us in other ways.

In case anyone is interested, I added a ticks counter to my real app, and logged to a text file at the end of the ‘redraw’ code.

In the results below, I have a few redrawings done using the original code I have been using without issue for 10 years, how it looks under 2017, and how it looks using the optimised version.
The Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: is just the date that the log was written to.

Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 5 //simple Drawrectangles Xojo 2015 code used for years
Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 6 //drawpictures over drawrectangles Xojo 2015 code used for years
Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 390 //drawpictures Xojo 2017 code used for years
Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 702 ///drawpictures over drawrectangles Xojo 2017 code used for years
Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 1 //drawpictures Xojo 2017 code optimised to use pictures that dont need scaling
Friday, 15 June 2018 Time: 4 //drawpictures over drawrectangles Xojo 2017 code optimised to use pictures that dont need scaling

Scaling is the problem.
Single calls dont hit you very hard, but when there are thousands of operations… wow…