Determining Which Window is Active and Other Things related

Yes you can subclass a window, just insert a class and set its super to Window. There is no graphical interface designer for subclasses of windows created like this, however, so everything must be stored in window properties and created at runtime, as far as I know.

Not sure I would ever use a subclassed window, but I learned something.

You can subclass a window and give it logic (methods and properties). Then later, add a window to your project and set its Super to your window class, Lay it out as normal and use the logic baked into the window subclass.

[quote=46623:@Steve Albin]I knew I was missing something.

My code should be adjusted as so:

for i as integer = 0 to WindowCount - 1 if Window(i) isa wContacts then if wContacts(window(i)).wName = "Contacts" then MsgBox "Found it" end next [/quote]

All this does is tell me that a specific window is open 
 it doesn’t tell me which is the active one (the one that has focus) or which window was active when another window is opened.

Also, the statement < if wContacts(window(i)).wName = “Contacts” then MsgBox “Found it”> serves no purpose because the statement < if Window(i) isa wContacts then> produces the same result (found it).

[quote=46730:@Rick Yerex]All this does is tell me that a specific window is open 
 it doesn’t tell me which is the active one (the one that has focus) or which window was active when another window is opened.

Also, the statement < if wContacts(window(i)).wName = “Contacts” then MsgBox “Found it”> serves no purpose because the statement < if Window(i) isa wContacts then> produces the same result (found it).[/quote]

Window(0) is the front most window, so that is the one that is active or has focus. You won’t need a loop to find that.

If you know that you have only one instance of wContact, then yes you don’t need to check the wName value. I thought you had multiple instances of the same type window and were using wName to differentiate them.

As for knowing which window was active when another one was opened, that’s for you to implement in code. Xojo has nothing built in to tell you that as far as I know. You need to develop a scheme to track this.

ff

[quote=46735:@Steve Albin]

As for knowing which window was active when another one was opened, that’s for you to implement in code. Xojo has nothing built in to tell you that as far as I know. You need to develop a scheme to track this.[/quote]

Steve, this is exactly why I came here and posed the question 
 to get some help on developing some code to do this.

To that end; however, with some of the suggestions here, the documentation, and a little experimentation, I have figured out how to do what I need. I created a Method in a module called ShowActiveWindow which returns the active window’s title.

Dim frontmostDocumentWindow As String
  Dim lastOffset As Integer = WindowCount - 1
  For i As Integer = 0 To lastOffset
    Dim w As Window = Window(i)
    If (w <> Nil) And (w.Frame = 0) And w.Visible Then
      frontmostDocumentWindow = w.Title
      Exit
    End If
  Next
  Return frontmostDocumentWindow

Thanks for everyone’s help in reaching my goal and expanding my knowledge.

Somewhere along the line, I must have gotten lost.

If you only want to know the front most (or “active”) window, you only need to do this:

dim frontmostDocumentWindow as string frontmostDocumentWindow = window(0).title

At one point, you indicated that you need to know other things in the window such as properties you added. Window(0) only knows how to access properties built in to the window class as it exists in the IDE. If you want to access properties you have added to the window, then you need to do something like your loop. Or cast the window(0) statement to your particular window.

The loop scheme you have is good when you need to find a window that is open, but you don’t know if it is the active window.

Actually, the code you posted will NOT find the front most window. It will find the first document window that is visible.

The intent is not to find the frontmost document window per se` 
 it is to find (or determine) which window IS the active one when I cause another window to open.

I tested this on 3 different windows and it does work.
On each window I have buttons that open each of the other windows.
I add the following code to each button on each window

dim TheWindow As String TheWindow=ShowActiveWindow

Then I cause the appropriate window to open and populate it’s “OpenArgs” Property with the variable . This method is telling me which window was active prior to the other window being opened
 in other words, when a window gets opened, which window did it get opened from. This is exactly what I was looking for.

The use of added window Properties and accessing their contents was a result of other suggestions on how to do what I wanted to do 
 not my choice or requirement even though I stated that 
 sorry for misguiding anyone.

Nice
 this also works.

Thanks!

geeesh
 what a long way around to a simple result LOL