DBKit, making creating database front-ends easier

You’re welcome and keep the DBKit feedback coming. I definitely want to continue improving it.

Hi Geoff

Could you explain the related tables concept in a little more detail or link to an example project for DBKit Web 1.06b?

Say you have a Single Page concept but with 2 list boxes for Customers and Invoices, and 2 search fields to filter those results and a set of Customer textfields, all on one page. You recommended 2 DBKit connectors CustomersConnector and InvoicesConnector. The CustomerConnector uses Me.BindControls(Self) to display all the controls on the screen. Do we need to bind the related results to the Invoices listbox using BindListBoxControl or leave it bound to the wrong Connector? Is there an easier way to bind the controls on the page to two different Connectors?

How do we use the LoadingRow event in the CustomersConnector, I assume using the Event handler and Event Definition? Doesn’t seem to work for me. But SelectionChanged seems to work to fetch the related Invoices via the id at me.RowTagAt(me.SelectedRowIndex). Perhaps this not the best way to do it because there are some error messages editing Customers.

Sorry, I’m not quite connecting the dots. Forgive my ignorance.

Yes, you would use two Connectors, one for each table. The idea is that in the LoadingRow event of the CustomersConnector, you would tell the InvoicesConnector to do a query on the Customer ID to load the related invoices. To use the LoadingRow event, just add it to the connector once it’s on the layout. LoadingRow is better because it only fires when a row is being loaded whereas SelectionChanged fires more often.

Does this help?

I need to update the example project to demonstrate loading rows from a related table.

1 Like

Yes, I do understand that much, but perhaps I am missing something else using the LoadingRow event. Do I need to add an Event Definition for it? Could you show some code or screen shot of the LoadingRow event and I will use that in lieu of an example project?

You just need to add an event handler to the connector of the window, i would think.

1 Like

Correct. Just add the LoadingRow event handler to the Connector on the layout.

Got it thanks! In the LoadingRow event I fetch the related records and tell the Invoice listbox to add those rows. I needed to rebind the Invoice listbox to the InvoiceConnector. I return true at the end of the event. This works.

But I have messed up the loading of the Customer columns into the TextFields when the row is selected. Could you give me an idea of what I should look at to fix that - it was working before.

I would need to see it. Is there an example project you can send me? You can send it privately instead of on the public forum.

Thanks Geoff, but I switched to separate search and edit windows, and this seemed to help. My UI was too crowded anyway!

I did find a problem where I wasn’t selecting the id from the database in the SQL select, so I fixed that.

With these together all is working well now. Thanks!

1 Like

Excellent. And having it all in one window can get crowded if you have a lot of fields so it sounds like you made a good decision.

Does anyone have an example of what should go into the LoadingRow Event? Does the connector2 need to be passed or used as a ‘variable’ to send data into?
There is no example in the DBKit example file that I could find.
I am using Postgresql in web app. Where the two Dates are stored in a different table.

Thanks

Loading row is called when the connector is well, loading a row. :slight_smile: So for example, if you needed a second connector to load a list of related rows from another table, you could trigger that in the LoadingRow event of the first connector. I need to add another table to the example project to show this off.

An example in the project would be great. As I still am unsure how to setup the second connector.

1 Like

Add a second connector for another table then when the LoadingRow event fires on the first connector, you can tell the second connector to loaded related rows for its table.