Creating the "User Help System" - is there a case for too much information?

Thanks for all the positive comments. For this app, I’m going to continue with the “old school” manual method but will look at quicker methods for future apps.

It’s a slog at the moment, but what it has forced me to do is to consider every step from the “User” point of view, which then has to be explained - in the shortest way possible - before I go mad :frowning:

One thing that has come up before I can go any further with my help system, is what I described on 17th of May (unfortunately we don’t have post numbers). In any case, I’ve changed the ? symbol to “i” which is more appropriate, as in “information” and therefore does not compete with “Help” under the standard menu.

This is where I’m at. “i” is best, but which colour do you prefer? Blue or Orange? This has become important because I’m taking screen shots for the help system and I don’t want to go back and replace images.

So, based on the feedback I get from this, will be the way forward. Blue or Orange?

No other options PLEASE, unless it is really compelling :slight_smile:

I can’t watch the images from here (filtered), but blue is the color you are searching (just like when you are in the street and want to reach an information point :wink: ).

Steve,
I cannot say that what I’m going to suggest is really compelling. Anyway:
to my eyes the blue blends well with the left pane, while the orange blends well with the right portion of the window.
So, I’d make a try with “i” in a pale green circle.

Thanks Emile.

Perhaps you mean, when you are in the street and reach an information point - you get the information required.

My program has the main “help” system (which I’m still writing). The “Information” system is just a shortcut to the point of interest within the help system. Essentially, they are one and the same.

To take your analogy further, I would say that my "information"system is like a contents page of a travel book. Let’s say you have traveled to the wonderful city of Melbourne in Australia. That whole book tells you what to see etc. but it is way too much information.

So you click on the “i” information icon in the contents pages and are immediately transported there. Taken directly to your point of interest. It doesn’t mean that you have no interest in the rest, but you just want to know what it’s about, at that place in time.

The hard thing is that I’m creating a help system “within” a help system. I’m breaking it into bits via the “information” icons. The reason it’s hard is because EVERYTHING happens in one window. I wanted it that way - it needs to be that way and therefore can look confusing and overwhelming, but I cannot change it.

There are many other “unconventional” concepts that I’ve used in this software application that may well either turn back on me, and “bite me on the ■■■” or be seen as a “breath of fresh air”.

Time will tell.

[quote=392852:@Carlo Rubini]Steve,
I cannot say that what I’m going to suggest is really compelling. Anyway:
to my eyes the blue blends well with the left pane, while the orange blends well with the right portion of the window.
So, I’d make a try with “i” in a pale green circle.[/quote]

Thanks Carlo. If you can give me the RGB values for your green, then I guess there’s no harm in trying it.

A good point to remember is that the “i” icons are toggled on/off via the main icon as shown above. Therefore not always shown.