Copy Canvas to ImageView

You Rock Brock! I think this will work. It is going to take a few edits but it seems to do the trick. Wish I had thought of it. I am using webcontainers inside of webcontainers but it does seem to work. Thanks for the recommendation.

XC server finally working again (I still don’t know why it went down for most of the day; very frustrating) and sure enough no fonts show up in the listbox. Any ideas? I vaguely remember someone saying you have to install fonts on the XC server.

[quote=130240:@Ken Gish]You Rock Brock! I think this will work. It is going to take a few edits but it seems to do the trick. Wish I had thought of it. I am using webcontainers inside of webcontainers but it does seem to work. Thanks for the recommendation.

XC server finally working again (I still don’t know why it went down for most of the day; very frustrating) and sure enough no fonts show up in the listbox. Any ideas? I vaguely remember someone saying you have to install fonts on the XC server.[/quote]

No fonts at all on the server is terrible. Must be some sort of oversight.

If you have an SSH access to the server, or even cron, you can install the fonts yourself. After all, it is only a Unix environment.

Just like on a Mac, fonts can be installed per user, or per system. The latter requires a root access, which may not be available to all users.

See http://www.ghacks.net/2009/01/09/installing-fonts-in-linux/

Maybe Greg will be able to shed some light on what is possible and how to proceed.

OK. I just ran the code on my server, and no font either.

I used my SSH access and attempted to install a font, no luck :frowning:

That is a really nasty limitation, and I do not really see what kind of workaround could be applied.

Would it be possible for Xojo to pre-install a few fonts as default on Xojo Cloud spaces ? But since it is a host probably without X-Windows, looks like that particular version of Linux may not be able to support fonts without a GUI.

The use of a label may seem cumbersome, but since it relies on fonts installed on the client side, it is immune to that problem.

It should be possible to peg the label to the canvas by code.

Brock I wanted to thank you again for the suggestion. The page is done and the speedup is dramatic! No more worries about the canvas redrawing each time and using up more RAM. I think it should be possible to prevent paint each time canvas is shown but using webcontainer makes much more sense any way you look at it (even though it makes editing a little trickier).

Michel thanks for your help as well. I will do a feedback case for no fonts on XC even though it is probably something Greg already told us. Also, feature request for override paint plus description of g.Save and g.Restore.

Feature request to disable Paint event: 35420

Document Save and Restore in Paint: 35421

I saw a case that I think might answer the question of why there are no fonts installed on the server. Greg commented that their license doesn’t allow them to install fonts. So, I requested documentation on how to install fonts on server: 35422

I am aware of that post. That is not the only issue. In general, a server does not require a GUI, so you will probably need to install all the GUI libraries before you can install a font. I do not know for XC, but usually a server does not let you do that.

That said, I do not quite understand how MBS DynaPDF can work on a server without fonts…

Greg just posted in another thread confirmation that no fonts are installed on XC.

https://forum.xojo.com/15827-cdbasechartmbs-setfontsearchpath/0#p130614

On my side, I have started experimenting on my server and started a new thread :
https://forum.xojo.com/15834-install-fonts-on-linux-server

I read through your other thread. Does this mean I have to request that Greg install some fonts? Or, is Greg saying he can’t do it because of the Microsoft license? Or, does user have to provide the fonts for Greg to install? Confusing.

Or does user have to install their own fonts using Copy Files (which doesn’t really make sense to me; not sure how to use the fonts in the app once they are uploaded)?

Since Microsoft does not grant permission to use its fonts on a server, you got to accept that and go elsewhere. Fortunately, Google fonts are explicitly authorized to be installed on a web site : Frequently Asked Questions  |  Google Fonts  |  Google for Developers

You can select whatever fonts you like at https://www.google.com/fonts and download them to your computer in TTF format (the down arrow on the upper right corner).

Most of them are rather classical, and you will no doubt find what you need there.

Then, I think it would be nice if Greg could chime in and say what is actually possible for you on Xojo Cloud. What I posted on the other thread is valid for another host, but if Xojo Cloud works the same, installing fonts yourself may not be that easy.

You may need to get the assistance of Xojo Cloud technical support to install your fonts. I see no reason why they would refuse.