Considering Mojave..

I have not installed Mojave yet (too busy being sick) but as I see it in the App Store, I foresee the customer telling me he is running it, and for some reason, my app he purchased in the MAS. So now, not only do I need to update all my apps to 64 bits, but also make sure they run under Mojave…

Oh yes.
But this has been the case for a long time.
Without a Mojave system, bugs reported on Mojave are a pain to debug.

I’ve personally now completed the update and so far everything is continuing to work. This is a major relief.
Still hearing odd bugs due to the graphics disruption introduced by Mojave, but easier to test now.
I have a nagging feeling that some of them are graphics card related, but Im not hearing any buzz in this forum about similar issues elsewhere, but I suspect I have users on a wide range of machines and setups.

[quote=421586:@Jeff Tullin]Still hearing odd bugs due to the graphics disruption introduced by Mojave, but easier to test now.
[/quote]
Be sure to check the system specs for anyone reporting graphics glitches. We had a customer with 5 Mac Pro Towers running Mojave. Three of the machines were giving him problems while two others were not. They were all reporting as 5,1 with Radeon R8 cards. In reality, it turns out that the three problem systems were actually 4,1 systems that were updated to the 5,1 firmware while the two that worked were real 5,1 systems.

So, as many people are stating that the 4,1 and 5,1 share the same motherboard, there must be something else different in the 4,1 systems.

Well, it seems I will have to install Mojave on the Macbook, but the late 2011 iMac will not be blessed with 10.14.2, says the MAS.

Programmed obsolescence anyone ?

[quote=421615:@Michel Bujardet]Well, it seems I will have to install Mojave on the Macbook, but the late 2011 iMac will not be blessed with 10.14.2, says the MAS.

Programmed obsolescence anyone ?[/quote]
In my experience, no. Apple generally has reasons. I have a 2011 Mac mini that I was surprised to learn couldn’t take it. Missing processor instructions, I think. So I modded an installer to let it happen. Sure enough, the menubar wouldn’t draw right, sheets looked weird, sidebars wrong… basically any part of the UI that needed translucency.

So there is a reason. It may not be obvious, but they don’t do it just to drive sales.

Machines that do not support Metal won’t run Mojave.

Well, that is a good excuse to buy a new machine :smiley:

Yeah the very first 2015 MacBook, I replaced my 2008 Original MacBook Air with it. I like to have slow ■■■ machines for debugging and secondary things, like browsing the internet.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been sick mate. Bodies are a chore.

You could consider macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs.
My advice is to do this only when you have another Mac as your main computer.

[quote=421645:@Paul Sondervan]You could consider macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs.
My advice is to do this only when you have another Mac as your main computer.[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the pointer.

i am aware of several such solutions. But I need a reliable work machine. I will install Mojave on the MacBook, and keep the iMac under safe High Sierra :slight_smile:

[quote=421615:@Michel Bujardet]…but the late 2011 iMac will not be blessed with 10.14.2, says the MAS.

Programmed obsolescence anyone ?[/quote]

Seven years is a pretty good run for a computer, but while it’s true you can’t run the latest OS on that machine anymore, you can still run 10.13 / 10.12, both of which still receive security fixes.

My mom has a 2010 iMac on 10.13. I take that as a hint that we should get her a new computer in the next couple of years, but security-wise she’s fine for at least that.

Her previous computer was a top-of-the-line PowerMac G4 that she initially paid a lot of money for, but it ran for 9 years without a hitch. I only retired it (and replaced it with the iMac) because it was running 10.4 (from 2007) and some web sites she was visiting no longer rendered correctly. I was not concerned with security updates at the time like I am now!

Or - an even better excuse to NOT upgrade to Mojave :smiley: .

If you take a look back over the past 30 years or so, you will notice that Apple (and others) stop support for a product on its 7th anniversary. Not because they have to, but because that is the minimum that US law says they must support a product.

I’d still be happily using Snow Leopard if I hadn’t been forced to upgrade for app compatibility. As far as I can see, nothing useful has been added since, apart from the TouchBar.

From a low-level driver and kernel level, 10.4.11 was the most stable and useful version of OS X that Apple ever produced. It was still a real OS and not an OS on it’s way to tablets-villa. Heck, you could still get the REAL server version of 10.4.

I think the major problem here is that people are not excited enough to buy new Macs; is this a hardware issue, a software issue, or is it both?

Thats interesting. never heard of this legislation - who else does it affect?
Most phones stop getting updates in 5 years or much less in the case of Android machines.

the last time I was excited about a new product was … for the iPhone more than 10 years ago (wasn’t it 2007 ?)
that was a real revolution.
since then some evolutions on a product line but nothing exciting at all.
forgot: Siri was a real software revolution at its time, now it’s quite outdated.

Apple is often bitten by the “if it works, don’t fix it” end user attitude. This is very obvious in the current fall off in iPhone sales. And, I’m seeing more and more Surface Pro tablets and Samsung Galaxy phones show up in TV shows that were almost always iPads and iPhones before.

After watching Tim cook’s Apple slide from on high for the past 7 years, it’s going to take some serious innovation to stop them from becoming another Asus or Lenovo where price is the reason for purchase rather than function, design, or purpose. They lost their hold on schools, canceled their Enterprise efforts, and allowed pro-grade hardware to languish for 5 years. That’s not a company in a leadership position on the personal computing front. Combine that with the ability to build a $300 Hackintosh that far outperforms Apple’s $999 Mac Mini and it’s not going to be long before we see the Mac platform relegated to the worlds of AtariST and Amiga.

At a business event of our company, a supervisor talked about changes in our company within the next ten years, both inside and in contact with customers. He drew a comparison with the iPhone. Which iPhone was there ten years ago? - Long break - “None at all” the dork told us - if he had told it properly, I would not call him a dork. But please make sure that the event is over soon.

This is a late 2012 Mini with 10Gig and a reasonably-sized SSD in addition to the internal drive. Why would I need to change it? Where’s my motivation? It has the mobo connectors so a second drive could be added, likewise the memory was upgraded when I got it off eBay.

I’ve not tried Mojave on it yet but assume it will run.