Codesign for Windows

ksoftware works for comodo. If you will codesign in the name of a company, registered in a commercial register, then validation will probably work without any problem. If you intend to get a certificate as an individual programmer, then there are further steps necessary:

https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/953/0/face-to-face-for-ov-and-code-signing

My base certificate with them says ‘1701 Software, Inc’ when you open an app on Windows. I am sure Comodo offers higher level certificates. Whether those are required I doubt except in special use cases.

I have a VAT number so it should be easy to verify my credentials. I am going to take plunge with kSoftware I guess.

i am using ksoftware / Commodo for years without problems. start your registration with Firefox browser on same windows machine where you will sign your software later. I am using a VMware Win Box. Do not try registration with with IE, download and cert handling won’t work there.

Or use Chrome, or even do the registration on a Mac :wink:

OK, thanks for the tip.

BTW isn’t it possible to transfer your certs to another computer afterwards?

[quote=132879:@Christoph De Vocht]OK, thanks for the tip.

BTW isn’t it possible to transfer your certs to another computer afterwards?[/quote]
Actually, not only is it possible (I bought mine on Mac and transfered) but I would recommend you save a copy of the .cert in a safe place in case you need to reinstall. Also, make sure not to lose your password.

Seems that getting a certificate for companies or independent developers is just a matter of some money. What does the certificate tell about the quality of the released software ?

Absolutely nothing. It’s just a racket so your users don’t see some scary message from Windows saying “unknown app from unidentified developer.” With a certificate it becomes a blue box “unknown app from 1701 Software, Inc.”

True, but I bet many users will not use your software when it isn’t code signed. OS X by default does not launch does apps at all.

I develop for both OS X and Windows and it brings an extra cost of about $200/year. Figures… :slight_smile:

Yes, this is what it is about, just nothing but marketing.

I wish that were true. We have an app that is deployed to many users and for awhile we never signed it. No one even noticed the difference or asked about it. Windows users have been trained by UAC to click ‘OK’ to anything.

ROTFL - made my day. :slight_smile:

Have you ever read a user manual or the terms of conditions ? Annoying stuff isn’t it ? Disclaimers everywhere.

Just oo much…

Come on. $100 a year is hardly a fortune when an app sells. For Mac, one app in the MAS will bring that in a few days at the worst. Unless of course one is dumb enough to sell for nothing. I have a Windows app that sells for just about the same price : $99.95. Just one sale and I break even.

And no, it is not just marketing : digital signature protects your app against undue modifications. I touched on the boxed software era in another thread. Back in the 80’s and early 90’s, the ticket to market was more like $1000. Not to mention countless hours creating the box, duplicating disks, and lest not forget spending quite a while soliciting wholesalers and stores to have the box on shelves and in catalogs. And on top of it leaving 50% discount in the process.

Marketing price has gone waaayyy down.

I agree, but why is that so expensive ? To keep K-Software off the street ? :slight_smile: Registering companies and independent developers does not add any value if you even don’t know about their integrity, if they have a quality system which can be audited etc.
Since I am involved in the production of electronics I know how important it is to design and proof according to the regulations and have that certified by a competent body before entering the marked with that product.
It seems that every hoby-programmer can build the software for the trafic lights on the most dangerous intersection in town, and by just putting $100 he can proof that software is ok to install.

Id be interested in what they supplied as evidence of ‘solidarity’.

I code sign my Mac Apps because Apple knows me.

Last time I looked into the Windows options, my business didn’t actually appear to have , use , or need any of the things that they wanted to see as evidence.
(Im not VAT registered… I don’t even have letterheads…)
Being in (the same) business for over 20 years didn’t seem to be enough.

[quote=133143:@Joost Rongen]I agree, but why is that so expensive ? To keep K-Software off the street ? :slight_smile: Registering companies and independent developers does not add any value if you even don’t know about their integrity, if they have a quality system which can be audited etc.
Since I am involved in the production of electronics I know how important it is to design and proof according to the regulations and have that certified by a competent body before entering the marked with that product.
It seems that every hoby-programmer can build the software for the trafic lights on the most dangerous intersection in town, and by just putting $100 he can proof that software is ok to install.[/quote]

How can you in the same post start by finding expensive what you then say is affordable for a hobbyist ? There are differences between certification bodies, price wise and otherwise. To get the agreement of a client, I had to purchase from Verisign in the past. Today their yearly codesign license is $499, and you have to prove not only that your company is registered, but that it is well known and has a landline phone (how stupid in the 21st Century). An individual must provide ID and proof of residence.
Comodo is just the easiest entry point to protect your executables from modifications, and nasty yellow Windows messages…