Catalina changes executable to non-executable on download

It actually does, (once you work around this bug in Catalina) but perhaps not as some would like. I do understand though that Apple does force you to do things their way eventually.

[quote=463587:@Jeff Tullin]I would not be surprised to learn that this is not so much broken as ‘by design’, in that it makes sending a malware app to a user WITHOUT code signing and notarisation, much less likely to succeed. The unzip takes the sting out of the tail, in a way that Windows cannot do, since Windows works on the file extension only to determine if something is exectuable.[/quote]Well, it’s not the sending, but the unzipping where this “protection” is implemented. I haven’t tested this, but I expect if I copy the .zip file to the Catalina computer, say via a network share or a flash drive, the .zip may still fail. If that is the case, why is it “protecting” us?
I feel that if it were a real protection scheme, it would just gatekeeper it, instead of silently modifying flags.

[quote=463649:@Michel Bujardet]I just downloaded the file under Catalina from http://mindplacesupport.com/download/927/, extracted the app by simple double click.

When I double click the app, I get ‘The application “MPFWUpdater.app” can’t be opened’.

The bundle .app has it’s executable flag, but indeed, the Unix executable inside “MPFWUpdater” has lost it’s executable flag.

When I reinstate the Unix executable Execute flag, the app runs just fine.

Now comes the barking. I code signed your app with my own Apple developer certificate. Did not notarize it. Placed it on my own server.

After download under Catalina, and extracting, it does not lose the executable flag and launches fine with Catalina default setting “Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers”.

Moral: if you want to distribute professional software, be professional about it, and get a proper developer contract with Apple.[/quote]
Thank you for testing that, Michel!

You cannot reasonably expect users to employ Unarchiver.

The solution is not yet another haphazard manipulation, it is simply to get an Apple Developer account and code sign your application.

Catalina does not f*ck up. It simply expects developers to sign and notarize their apps, if they distribute outside of the Mac App Store.

Security has been increased in Catalina to protect users against malware. Distributing software and instructing them how to defeat these measures is unprofessional at best.

Everything ok, Michel? You sound stressed!

Sorry for trying to help. No need to be sarcastic.

You were trying to help, but repeating yourself, ranting and calling me uprofessional as you did in your last post was not helpful.
No worries. As usual, I’ve figured out the answer on my own.

Ignore

Picking up this thread again - I have similar issue.

1. Create a code signed and notarised pkg via AppWrapper.
  2. Drag the pkg into a new MacOS Catalina in Parallels - pkg installer runs OK.
  3. Upload same pkg to web, download via Safari in same Parallels VM (having deleted previous app), drag to desktop, pkg installer stops - quoting “…unknown developer”.
  4. Doing “Open Anyway” results in an installer message “The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.”

Does pkg somehow lose its code signing or notarising in the process?

Scrap this request - seems it might have been a download glitch.

Andy:
change the zip file extension to cbz: The Unarchiver wil be used to unzip… automatically same apply rar / cbr), etc.

I have absolutely zero problem with App Wrapper + DMGCanvas.

It seems to be an os bug. Same problem with an application extracted from a downloaded dmg (which works without any problem on several older os version). Chmod doesn t help. It finally launched after deleting and copying the same app several times.

It is not so much a bug, as seemingly security being tightened. This has already been discussed:
https://forum.xojo.com/58553-catalina-unzip-file-permissions-problems/0