Can't build 64bit applications

I might say, that seems to be the cause - Xojo is not firing up houdiniassistant. I rename the executable files and it doesn’t report an error, but stops at the same point. So question: should it report an error if the executable is not found (if yes, then it is tanking before houdiniassistant)? I can run them (houdiniassistant) at a command prompt (non-elevated).

[code]C:\Program Files\Xojo\Xojo 2019r1.1\Xojo Resources\Win32>houdiniassistant_
houdiniassistant_.exe: for the -o option: must be specified at least once!

C:\Program Files\Xojo\Xojo 2019r1.1\Xojo Resources\Win32>houdiniassistant64_
houdiniassistant64_.exe: for the -o option: must be specified at least once![/code]

[quote=450743:@Jim Frankland]I might say, that seems to be the cause - Xojo is not firing up houdiniassistant. I rename the executable files and it doesn’t report an error, but stops at the same point. So question: should it report an error if the executable is not found (if yes, then it is tanking before houdiniassistant)? I can run them (houdiniassistant) at a command prompt (non-elevated).

[code]C:\Program Files\Xojo\Xojo 2019r1.1\Xojo Resources\Win32>houdiniassistant_
houdiniassistant_.exe: for the -o option: must be specified at least once!

C:\Program Files\Xojo\Xojo 2019r1.1\Xojo Resources\Win32>houdiniassistant64_
houdiniassistant64_.exe: for the -o option: must be specified at least once![/code][/quote]
Have you tried running the two installers in the Extras/Windows Installers directory? If HoudiniAssistant can’t run, it may mean that your system is missing something critical.

I assume you are talking about the x86 and x64 Visual C++ ReDistributables, as that is the only thing in that directory. No they will not run. The reason why they will not run is because my development machines are beyond the v14.0.24215 included with XoJo 2019r1.1. The notebook was running VC++ 2015 Redistributable v14.12.25810 - The notebook will compile XoJo x64. The development computers were running VC++ 2017 Redistributable v14.15.26706. They do not compile XoJo x64.

I first upgraded the notebook to the latest (as the older versions can’t be found on Microsoft’s site anymore) [I was actually hoping to load the Dev PC version on the notebook and break it.] So I simply downloaded the latest from Microsoft of each x86 and x64.
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
So now I have VC++ 2015-2019 Redistributable v14.22.27821 on all three machines. No change, the notebook still compiles x64, the development PC’s do not.

So what exactly is HoudiniAssistant? I am assuming since reading Feedback 50030 it is strictly an XoJo creation and not HDK by Side Effect Software which is more of a 3D/Graphics add on for VC++. Is it just a compiler/linker or does it also run at runtime as a helper to XoJo? (I was searching the internet for some kind of 3rd party installer) So what would prevent XoJo from spawning Houdini during linking?

The compiler which runs as a helper app

And at least on the Mac, Xojo launches multiple simultaneous instances of HoudiniAssistant when compiling, not just one. They start and close multiple times during the compile process.

Pretty sure its a helper on all targets and that it will use about as many cores as available (maybe one less just so it doesnt grind your machine to a halt)

So what is the Windows mechanism for launching HoudiniAssistant from XoJo during linking? Shell, OLE, WMI, … ? Knowing this may help narrow down what is preventing it.

I dont recall
Someone from Xojo would have to comment