Building for multiple platforms

My license started on November 2017, I’m new with Xojo, first download on June 2017.

I installed 2016r3, loaded an example, build it for mac and there was no problem.

Do you mean that I can only build on older versions if I have a current license? So if I don’t renew my license then I won’t be able to build with older version?

Sorry, I think we are off-topic

That is wrong. You CAN download older versions, and your license will cover them. Just click on ARCHIVES where it goes back to REALbasic 2007r1.

If you download VERY old versions then the license number might not be recognised. Contact support in this case and they will be able to send you a license key for those very old versions.

[quote=385369:@Emile Schwarz]
Reuben, what kind of software do you want to create (if you can disclose that)?[/quote]

The first app I’m thinking of (I have a ‘functional’ version of it in Filemaker) is a language learning, analysis, and documentation app. Initially (for my own use) it only needs to be iOS, though having a macOS version would make data manipulation a whole lot nicer. In the future, however, I’d hope to market the app, in which case I’d almost definitely want an Android counterpart.

Most of what I want to do will be for iOS and macOS (and I’ll have the IDE on macOS). After reading the updates from XDC and realizing that the Xojo framework is dying I have a question. I really, REALLY like “learn once, learn all”! Especially, seeing that I have a super full life.

You can nearly reject all Windows and Linux comments. And also, nearly everything that is not Data Base.

You already have “only a path to follow”: the application design already exists (even if you can try to do a better User Interface / User Experience).

For version 1, I advice to create a “Carbon Copy“ of your existing FileMaker application. Then, in a later version try to take the best of Xojo to create a real Xojo version.

This allow you to “work” while Xojo put the “final touch” to what they disclose at XDC.

Talking about XDC. To make your own opinion, go back in time (to 2017, 2016, 2015, earlier ?) and read what was announced then and compare to what we have in Xojo 2018r1.

After these explanation, I think you have everything you need to go ahead with Xojo.

Remember: you need to buy a license only to build (generate) the appliction. This let you time to discover Xojo by your own and decide if it fit your needs.

Have a nice travel with Xojo.

Ah ? I didn’t begin to use the new framework, but is there an alert somewhere if I wanted to do so ? I’m surprise to read this new in an answer of a thread.

I am not quite sure about that. AFAIK you can use previous versions. Maybe someone from Xojo can chime in ?

It’s wrong, see Markus’s reply above. I’m using RS2012 under my current license.

@Reuben Helmuth don’t worry about starting out with the new framework for iOS - It’s not really “deprecated” as such, it’s more that Xojo now have a roadmap for integrating the old and new into a “new new” framework. Xojo never do anything quickly, and they have an excellent track record for backward compatibility, as witnessed by the fact that I’m still using the old framework (some of my code is 8 or more years old) and have had almost no compatibility issues with the latest releases.

BTW, you can reuse a good amount of existing classic code in Xojo iOS with my XojoiOSWrapper which provides classic syntax.
https://forum.xojo.com/35717-xojoioswrapper/0

[quote=385465:@Michel Bujardet]BTW, you can reuse a good amount of existing classic code in Xojo iOS with my XojoiOSWrapper which provides classic syntax.
https://forum.xojo.com/35717-xojoioswrapper/0[/quote]
And I guess Xojo might be following Michel’s lead