Build After Update To 2017 Release 3

The reason I asked you to do that is so I can fix the issue

Have been away from xojo for a while, but can now report that my original build problem in early December has been solved. I can now build repeatedly without having to delete the previous build file. I assume this is due to the update to Mac OS 10.13.2 as nothing else has changed. Thanks to all who made suggestions to solve this problem.

I must correct my previous post. I forgot that I had deleted the icons from the offending projects so they did multiple builds without the problem. When I put the icons back into these projects, the problem persists - File error 105 unless the previous build file is deleted. Other users don’t seem to be seeing this problem so perhaps it is something unique to my Mac. For now, I just delete the previous build if I need to do a new build. Sorry for confusion.

what is the name of the icon that is causing the problem?

Richard, the icon is a png file named football_ball.png. As far a I can remember, there was no problem with this icon until OS 10.13. I was using this icon for a long time without any problem, but at some point, it started giving the Build error. Looking over the history of this post, it seems to me that the problem is running OS 10.13 and doing more than one build (without deleting the previous build file) with a project containing an icon. Other users do not seem to be seeing this issue, but I can’t explain why.

This is what lsof +D says, and there is only a 85k fragment of the app left (usualy about 50mb)

lsof +D /Users/carsten/PMpg/PM\ Xojo/pm4g/AWARD+\ PM\ 4X.debug.app

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
iconservi 372 carsten txt REG 1,4 85148 8590956511 /Users/carsten/PMpg/PM Xojo/pm4g/AWARD+ PM 4X.debug.app/Contents/Resources/AWARD+ PM 4X.debug.icns

It may seem odd, but as a simple check try removing the “+” from your app name temporarily. I’ve seen Mac OS 10.13 have issues with special characters that prior versions were fine with.

[quote=390880:@Raimund Pinisch]This is what lsof +D says, and there is only a 85k fragment of the app left (usualy about 50mb)

lsof +D /Users/carsten/PMpg/PM\ Xojo/pm4g/AWARD+\ PM\ 4X.debug.app

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
iconservi 372 carsten txt REG 1,4 85148 8590956511 /Users/carsten/PMpg/PM Xojo/pm4g/AWARD+ PM 4X.debug.app/Contents/Resources/AWARD+ PM 4X.debug.icns[/quote]

This is Apple’s iconservices daemon holding the file in use. I have no idea why Apple does this and why it seems to never let go.

In 2018r1.1 we believe we have fixed this issue and so you should not experience it any longer.

No, it’s not (on High Sierra). But I will test it on Mojave again.

Ok - interesting. Have you filed a bug report in Feedback?

This Issue is not new. There are a few FR’s related to this (f.e. <https://xojo.com/issue/48296>) and this Issue has been discussed many times in this Forum.

No I did not file another FR. I use Scripts and Keyboard Maestro to work around this issue. And my time for testing such issues is really limited.

Tested it on macOS 10.14 BETA 1 and see the same issue: <https://xojo.com/issue/52407>

I get this too. I have to manually delete the previous build or the new build fails. I did notice that the only thing leftover when the build fails is some icon files. I am guessing that those icon files may have the wrong permissions or something like that. When the build fails the bundle folder contains only my icon files. I keep meaning to figure that out but in the meantime I just delete the current build which is faster than figuring it out… Does anyone else have the same experience? Maybe if I remove the permissions and extended attributes for my icon files? I haven’t tried that yet but I will… someday…

I’m seeing this in one of my projects with Xojo2018r2 on Mac OS 10.13.6 . My build scripts do remove the old build (not a debug build), and the build folder is empty, and yet - error 105. Can’t build at all without logging off and on again.