Brand New Here

If your previous history has been steeped in procedural languages, than OOP can be daunting… I remember some of the concepts I had to get my head wrapped around. Just remember in OOP things don’t necessarily happen in a linear fashion, in addition of OBJECTS and their inheritance, encapsulation and polymorphic attributes, you will need to learn about dealing with events, both the ones you will create, as well as the ones the already exist behind the scene.

[quote] Matt Neuberg’s "REALbasic - The definitive guide (2nd ed[/quote] - still have my copy and would not part with it.

[quote]Just remember in OOP things don’t necessarily happen in a linear fashion[/quote] been burned more than once on this…

See REALBasic: TDG: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition - Matt Neuburg - Google Books

That is sooo Xojo in both problem and proposed solution. Why not simply get it right? I have never had a problem on other sides, and I download a LOT of pdfs onto my iPad.

Its probably due to their CMS which I doubt they have source access to:

It ends up serving:

http://developer.xojo.com/mobile/load_page/?id=export/download_pdf?topic_id=314325&_dc=1502978433161&company=1539&site=2321

Instead of:

http://developer.xojo.com/export/download_pdf?topic_id=314325

and goes boom.

I actually went a convoluted route to find that because they disable click and hold on links (which I dislike because I like to open additional tabs on links)

Using phrasing like “they disable” makes it sounds like Xojo Inc has deliberately disabled certain abilities

The CMS does disable certain things like you mention - not us

We didn’t write it

And we’re aware of the fact that the CMS system does this

So am I to understand the code that I will need to write in the action windows is to be written in Real Basic?

Realbasic is Xojo’s old name. Most code written in the Realbasic era still works unmodified, or with limited modifications. So, in a way the answer is yes, but the answer is no. You will write it in Xojo!

I have been reading a lot. But I’m not sure this old brain will get this OOP stuff. Going to be hard to break the procedural programming habit.

Once you get your head around event driven app development you’ll find OOP a little less daunting. I started with FORTRAN in '74 and didn’t move from COBOL until after y2k. My avatar picture is a little old, but the hair style hasn’t changed :slight_smile:

I saw Job openings (every month or so ?) here in France, Strasbourg !

Thanks Emile, but I’m enjoying Xojo too much to go back to COBOL, and from what I saw with Y2K 1/1/28 is going to be a disaster.

Stanford University has several of their programming classes available online, but there’s one in particular ( unfortunately using Java) which teaches the concepts of OOP and the teacher (in my opinion as a former educator) one of the best communications I have ever seen. Lemme see if I can find it.

Edit: it’s CS106A: Programming Methodology

If you have an iOS device, this course is available for free in iTunesU.

Thanks Greg.