Borders in API2

I’ve fixed that page.

Removing the cell border properties / methods, whatever you want to call them, seems a bizarre move. Like KarenA I often use borders to delimit sections of the display. I understand I can continue to use the API1 listbox but surely that’s just postponing the inevitable, sooner or later a conversion will be necessary. Surely you cannot simply remove something without offering an alternative?

1 Like

I’ve slept on this issue, and have had some further thoughts.

First of all I’m actually quite appalled that Xojo feels they can drop features without warning. Since the introduction of API2 I’ve analysed my projects more than I compile them, it highlights errors as well as issuing warnings if I inadvertently use API1, compile doesn’t do this bit. At no point did I see any message warning me the CellBorder properties have been deprecated. They seem to simply have been removed.
On the same issue, I don’t seem to be able to find an API2 version of Listbox1.List()?

The immediate issue, I tend to write reports to a listbox rather than directly to paper, I find this generally meets the need. There is an option to print if the user really needs it. These reporting listbox often depend on cell borders for legibility, the borders are used to group heading and sub-heading sections. I learned how to use these properties because the earliest version of this listbox was difficult to read. It was simple and effective.

Geoff suggests this can easily be done in the Paint event using API calls. I disagree.
If you’re comfortable issuing API calls for something so basic, would you be using Xojo in the first place? In any case, when I populate the listbox I know the relationship between the cell being worked on and those around about it. The Paint event won’t know that. Probably could be worked out but it would be an enormous amount of work, to replace something that was there in the first place.
Please reconsider this decision.
As it stands, I spent most of yesterday correcting correcting compilation errors after converting a copy of the project to API2 before I came across this issue. I’ll have to restore to API1 until this issue gets addressed.

1 Like

That’s trivially fixable by adding something like a celltag to any cell, which can be a class instance and therefore can contain all the info the paint event needs to paint the borders as you wish.

Ok, granted.
I stand by my original statement. You cannot remove features without warning your customers. I am reverting this project to API1 until this issue is addressed, or until I’m told it’s not going to be addressed.

1 Like