Best Linux distro for xojo

The Manjaro Team already thought of this :slight_smile: :
Install Cinnamon Desktop on Manjaro

You can have multiple desktops installed and select which one you wish to use when you log in to the system.

Thanks @Tim Jones , i have tried it and it works very nicely! :slight_smile:

It’s realy easy to change desktops in Manjaro.

The pity is… none of these Linux Desktops are suitable for day-2-day work… I tried Suse, Ubuntu, MINT still the fastest and nicest esp. when you’re coming from a Mac is https://elementary.io - but the apps are kind of beta missing key functions. The best platform for XOJO developing is macOS.

I haven’t really worked with Xojo since its first release. But a few days ago I gave it a try because I had a RS project that I desperately needed to convert to 64 bits. This is what I have been working on in the last few days using Xojo 2019.2 on Manjaro XFCE. And I must say, it works very well, above expectation.

Manjaro has been my production environment for some two years. IMO it is the best and most stable rolling-release distro out there.

Dont use 2019r2 - use 2019r3 or 2019r3.1
Save yourself the headaches

Any differences I should know about between 2019r2.1 and 2019r3.1? Because up until now, r2.1 works just fine.

http://documentation.xojo.com/resources/release_notes/2019r3.html
http://documentation.xojo.com/resources/release_notes/2019r3.1.html

The most nitable are in 3.1 which fixes several leaks for database API’s along with numerous other fixes

Thanks! So far, my projects compile and run just fine. When I run into any trouble I will check out the latest version.

LOL, I have been adjusting my projects to API 2.0 without realizing it by using ‘analyze project’. But it certainly cleans a few things up here and there, like try blocks instead of returned error codes.

So far I haven’t run into any trouble. Admittedly, I am not using built-in databases. I’ve been using my random access database for years without problem. The only issue I found is that structure size isn’t consistent in 64 bits so I check the size in debug mode to see if it matches the desired size. This can be an issue when wanting to use optimized sizes like 512, 1024, 2048 etc.

names of events have changed between r2 and r3-r31.
really don’t use r2, or you will have a lot of (back) work to do when you use r3+

When I use Ubuntu18.04 with Japanese, Xojo IDE is very slow and cursor position shifts. That’s why I work on Windows.

So, Frank Hoogerbeets said:

random access database? ?What is that? Please tell me where I can read about it.
I have serious problems with MySQL + Japanese + Windows.

I feel I ask this every 5 years:
Is it yet possible to create a Linux desktop app using Xojo and expect it to work on a Linux Distro that is not the one you used to design on?
All my attempts in the past have been dismal failures due to the huge variances in GUIs

It seems people can get an app to work on their distro of choice , and that these apps are heading for a handful of target machines where the OS is fairly tightly controlled.
Will we ever reach ‘the year of the Linux desktop’?

[quote=477143:@Jeff Tullin]I feel I ask this every 5 years:
Is it yet possible to create a Linux desktop app using Xojo and expect it to work on a Linux Distro that is not the one you used to design on?
All my attempts in the past have been dismal failures due to the huge variances in GUIs

It seems people can get an app to work on their distro of choice , and that these apps are heading for a handful of target machines where the OS is fairly tightly controlled.
Will we ever reach ‘the year of the Linux desktop’?[/quote]
It is not just the distro-of choice. Any distro can run Xojo apps as long as the proper libraries are installed. So if you have a distro with KDE desktop, Xojo apps can still run if the necessary GTK libraries are installed. For most distro’s that is not a problem.

I usually choose a distro with GTK desktop, like XFCE or MATE. But almost always is there a KDE app that works better. Usually, upon installation from the repo all required (KDE) libs are pulled in. The only problem with a Xojo app is that you need to know its (GTK) dependencies as it is not a pre-configured package.

[quote=477140:@Yoshimasa Kawano]When I use Ubuntu18.04 with Japanese, Xojo IDE is very slow and cursor position shifts. That’s why I work on Windows.

So, Frank Hoogerbeets said:

random access database? ?What is that? Please tell me where I can read about it.
I have serious problems with MySQL + Japanese + Windows.[/quote]
Random Access Database or RaDB mimics the random access file type that was widely used in earlier programming languages like QuickBASIC. Records and its fields are defined by Types/Structures. So each record has a fixed size, meaning that RecordNumber * RecordSize directly points to the address in the disk file (hence the name random access). It is exceptionally fast and easy to work with. Obviously, the downside is that record fields have a fixed size, making it less suitable for storing images and other larger data that greatly vary is size. I use it primarily for scientific and financial applications that only need to store names and numbers.

Jeff, that’s a really good question. The answer is what you’ve already mentioned: The target machines must be controlled and having at least the same level of distributions, graphical enviroments and settings. The rule of thumb is: Develop and keep your app as close as possible to the GNU/Linux distro.

But the issue is going deeper. Who is using GNU/Linux on Desktops? I have one customer where I helped to replace old Win7 and 2008R2 Servers (classic AD with Exchange Server) with Debian only on 1x server and 15x desktops. Microsoft Office was replaced with Libre Office + Evolution and for collaboration a Nextcloud instance is now in place, giving the customer possibilities and freedom, he never have had before. What was the main factor? The costs? Not really, I think the switch to GNU/Linux would be quite equal with the switch to Win10 when you sum up all costs. The decision was made because of vendor lock-in and loss of control with closed source propietary software.

And here we are: Basically all Xojo Plugins do not offer open licenses. Even if I buy plugins with their sources you cannot distribute your software freely. And of course XOJO itself is a big chunk of closed source software, kinda blackbox block within any open GNU/Linux enviroment. Nobody wants this! This is the main reason why Xojo is living in a niche on GNU/Linux.

I have one larger customer who makes strict GDPR and security impact assessment. He simply cannot do this with any closed source software. So he demands other proofs and papers of warranty or framworks. One of such frameworks is the EU-US privacy shield. But XOJO Inc is not even listed there, making it not useable in any toolchain in certain industries and use-cases here in Europe.

[quote=477140:@Yoshimasa Kawano]random access database? ?What is that? Please tell me where I can read about it.
I have serious problems with MySQL + Japanese + Windows.[/quote]
You can read about it here: RaDB.pdf If you think it suits your needs you can download the source files. Keep in mind that it was developed long ago for 32 bits. I successfully ported it to 64 bits by changing int32 calls to int64 (and maybe MaxRecords to something greater than 2147483647).

[quote=477143:@Jeff Tullin]Is it yet possible to create a Linux desktop app using Xojo and expect it to work on a Linux Distro that is not the one you used to design on?

Will we ever reach ‘the year of the Linux desktop’?
[/quote]
Have you tried using the modGTK3 classes that are pinned at the top of the Linux Forum section? They do a very good job of making things consistent regardless of the user’s desktop du jour.

modGTK3 Pinned Post