AVAST - Me hearties.. what a pain..

Don’t read with binary glasses. A good defence is hygiene, PLUS an antivirus. Reason why I mentioned prophylaxis as first line of defence, implying there is a second one.

Counting only on an antivirus is IMHO inviting uncontrollable problems if the Universe forbid an unknown malware slipped in.

That sounds like it’s a browser issue as well. You can’t put the entirety of the blame on a website owner when your browser has a security hole as well.

WordPress is a shameless notorious breeding ground for exploits.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but Avast is reading Xojo 2016r2 as a virus on my machine :slight_smile:

FYI!

Avast IS a malware…

I am running Kaspersky Labs on my mac computers for two years now. A while ago all of a sudden all my xojo deliverables got blocked. On their request I uploaded just a small application for inquiry and the next day they had it fixed it since it was false positive of course.

And BTW: about 20 years ago I was employed as a support guy for one of the AV products mentioned above. I know what a hell of a job it is to get the highest rate of protection.
For those who are interested in background information: VB. O I see, they congress exactly on the same days as XDC. :slight_smile:

I abandoned Avast several years ago. I have since been using Eset Nod32. I like it. Some don’t. Most agree that Avast is not the best option.

Avast isn’t malware, in fact it is quit good in blocking, a little bit too good!

I was a big supporter of Avast and on mine and everybody else’s computers where I installed Avast, it is working smoothly, preventing the computers to get infected.

A few years back we also had issues with Avast for websites which have an African domain extension. They where blocked as standard, without even investigating if they really where negative or not.

Is it not possible that the cause is inside Xojo itself? They way it run, for example calling “home” and exchange private information, or information which Avast consider as private.

I do not have any problem yet, I am using Xojo Pro 2015 r2.3 Windows. Anyway it should never block legal applications like Xojo, there is no excuse for blocking them.

Anyway, you can add Xojo.exe to the exclusion list, so you can remain using it without any problems with Avast. That is what I do.

Because of this and what other Avast users are reporting here, Avast is indeed loosing ground.

I was joking.

However, you explained very well how Avast often oversteps its mission.

Michel, you are correct.

The only problem is that the Avast people does not realise it yet.

I regret the Avast situation very much because it WAS a very good anti virus program. Also the sideways installed applications to speed up your computer, also do not help their case because for myself and I am sure many others, they are a true nuisance. So when you refer to those side programs as malware, I do agree with you because their function is not the task of an anti virus program.

To me, Avast (like Norton Antivirus and McAfee) is the epitome of the dinosaur syndrome : too big, too bloated, grouchy, unable to adapt. This happened to so many apps I have seen arrive in the nineties that were agile, intelligent and efficient, and became stupid monsters gobbling resources for the sake of adding features. We all are in danger of doing so. Marketing forces us to add features, until the thing becomes so obese it no longer performs.

I also believe Avast people have reached the Peter Principle.

Exactly my opinion too Michel! I could not have wrote it better.

At best, there is negligible evidence that major non-MS AV products give a net improvement in security. More likely, they hurt security significantly

Personally, I have removed Nod 32 from Windows 10. Then tried again F-Secure with the same result. Too much tax on performances.

Windows is already kind of sluggish, adding an extra layer of molasses is not necessary.

At any rate, the built in Windows Defender is probably sufficient for someone like me who regularly backs up, never runs any pirated software, and will never click on any attachment in email. Actually, I wish I could set Thunderbird to send all incoming attachments to the bin.

What are the Xojo people doing for verification? That’s at least the third spam post in the last days.

They were pretty fast to delete, actually. I admin several groups on Facebook. You would not believe the amount of spam I delete everyday.