Auto lock old topics

I will only reopen topics on a case-by-case basis. I don’t have the access to modify the database in such a way. I also don’t have the time to spend three days manually reopening a list of cases that may never need to be posted on again. :wink:

So there are ways? I guess no-one has the time and/or knowledge or they just don’t want to? That’s a shame. Cheers

It would have to be studied to ensure that topics which were closed by staff action weren’t also reopened. Blanket reopening isn’t a solution. The best I can do is tell you to email hello@xojo.com if you want to make suggestions about the best way to accomplish a mass-reopening. If it were super simple, we would’ve done it. I know we discussed it, and there were reasons. I don’t recall everything right now.

Before I spend time installing a vm, discourse and working out the query I’ll hang on for some input from Xojo then because there’s not much point me doing all that if someone at Xojo just doesn’t want it fixed for whatever reason. If there’s no input, then I know where we stand.

Would it really be so horrible if even topics closed for cause were reopened? Are people really going to go back and start arguing with Brad Hutchins again? If Xojo finds a reopened and newly-active topic objectionable, it would be a simple matter to lock it again - simpler than going through all of them now to sort them.

1 Like

The idea of people going back to re-argue with Joe Soap is not the issue. The issue is that these topics, if re-opened, then show up in some circumstance (I forget what, at this point) where the forums offer a list of similar topics. And some of these topics look like they might be interesting. The problem is that because the time/date info for these topics is in pale gray, the fact that these topics are as old as 40 hills is not obvious, so I go reading through them only to notice a lot later that they are completely obsolete. And that is a pain in the you-know-what.

This was the argument that I made previously and I’m making it again.

Those who forget the lessons of history are condemned to relive them (please tell this to Joe Biden if you happen to run into him).

Can we close this topic now and mark it “Done to death”? Thanks.

I believe that the original problem was that the years were shortened to two digits leaving it ambiguous to whether it was a Month Day and not a Month Year. I believe that has since been remedied.

Could we not keep doing this on the request of one person, if you don’t like the discussion, just ignore the topic. Thanks

3 Likes

While I do agree that this horse has had enough, there may be a solution that we didn’t previously consider. If you have one, share it. I’m not, personally, interested in re-litigating the original action or each closed post.

I’m still waiting to hear from Xojo on whether they want/care to restore the automatically closed posts to their open state before I look into it.

As I stated on the original topic, the change was made for topics going forward. If you want to request a particular topic be re-opened you can do so via a moderator.

4 Likes

Yes I understand that the auto-close had been turned off for topics going forward, but do you want to restore the forum to its pre-test state? Because just this morning a post was made where an old thread should be adjusted, but I note that no-one has requested the old thread be reopened so the information there can be fixed and forum features weren’t known about or used so there’s no link between the posts.