Audio: determining volume of music file

The output looks like this:
iTunNORM: 00001E86 00001E86 0000A2A3 0000A2A3 000006A6 000006A6 000078FA 000078FA 00000211 00000211

After that I found this link:
http://id3.org/iTunes%20Normalization%20settings for some explanation about this.

The link explains how to interpret the iTunNORM. Only the first set of 8 characters is needed: that holds the normalized volume level (NVL) of one channel. It’s a hexadecimal value that needs to be converted to decimals and with a formula can be converted to a dB volume setting:

dB = -LOG ( NVL / 1000 ) * 10

This is how far I have come now. By then it was 2 in the morning :wink:

Can’t seem to convert the watt/dB value that I get from the iTunNORM tag to a working volume level. I tried different formula’s (al logarythmic, since that seems to be the way to go) but I keep getting different volume levels. Although the volume is much better than without my calculation, it does not come near iTunes’ volume corrections…

From your equation it seems NVL is the linear value, and similar (if not the same) to power. I would use that number/value to do your normalization (instead of the dB values).

That was also my initial assumption, but since I did not know how to translate that NVL value to a working volume setting, I tried to translate that value to a dB value that matches the iTunes info so I knew I was calculating correctly. Since I found a way to translate a dB value to a linear value, I assumed that I could get a working linear value from that.

But in hindsight it’s kind of stupid, because I am translating from linear to dB and from dB back to linear.