ARM64 - it's time!

Well, I’d wait for the keynote from Geoff in the next days.

Arm64 is a topic they could announce for some future version as a bullet point.

true, though I think crowd funding could be another options to get features sooner than later. Examples, if my business market has a specific need that I know Xojo would be perfect for, but doesn’t exist. I think this could be a faster path to getting such feature rather than wait for the possibility that what you are looking for will / might be available in the near future.

Christian, I believe you offer such services… if a customer came to you to say please add x to MBS, you would quote them to have it developed. in return, the immediate customer gets the feature while other people can benefit in future MBS releases.

[quote=480131:@Rich H]Curious, it sounds like you are open to the idea where users could contribute funds to specific features?
[/quote]
This has always been the case at REAL/Xojo. If you have a feature that you REALLY need, contact Geoff and it can be done (within reason).

In this case, it’s not a single developer’s need, but rather needed because that’s where the market is heading and we can’t deliver for that platform as things exist.

[quote=480129:@Geoff Perlman]That’s always a possibility. No one was asking us to support building web apps when we made that available and it’s one of our more popular targets. OTOH, demand is absolutely a huge factor. This particular request just seems like it’s one where existing users would likely ask for it. Demand would drive it. We already support ARM, 64 bit and Linux so we have users running 64-bit Linux apps and if they need to run them on ARM devices, I would imagine we would be getting lots of requests for it.

Having said that, I’m always open to hearing a compelling argument that there’s a big market just waiting for Xojo.[/quote]

Actually we would like to see 64-bit arm too!
But it seems xojo ignores some feature requests, so it’s kinda wasting time to keep asking such. If it was really a switch turning on for xojo it arm-64bit should have been already possible. Why on earth would one wait for providing featuress that are (internally) already there?

Well that’s the point of this thread. I know that Xojo Inc uses several ways to decide what to work on. But I also know that they use Feedback as a good indicator from the community. It’s a pretty good tool to let them know what we want. It’s not perfect and just because something gets to number 1, doesn’t mean you’re going to get it. But again, it’s a good way to voice an opinion.

So please put your points on <https://xojo.com/issue/42794> if this is important to you. By the way, it’s up to 13th now!

[quote=480156:@Tim Jones]This has always been the case at REAL/Xojo. If you have a feature that you REALLY need, contact Geoff and it can be done (within reason).

In this case, it’s not a single developer’s need, but rather needed because that’s where the market is heading and we can’t deliver for that platform as things exist.[/quote]
But we have still done that for individual developers. We added support for Security-enhanced Linux many years ago because a large defense contractor needed it and was willing to pay for it.

So sometimes it’s what we believe it important for the future, sometimes it’s straight-forward demand from users and sometimes it’s a user who needs something that we wouldn’t have done today but is willing to pay for it to be prioritized. Note that we will not accept money to put something into the product we don’t believe belongs there.

In the Feedback application, there was an entry that show priority for some asked features.

I searched about it yesterday and do not found. Was it removed from there ?

[quote=480165:@Emile Schwarz]In the Feedback application, there was an entry that show priority for some asked features.

I searched about it yesterday and do not found. Was it removed from there ?[/quote]
I’m not sure what you mean. Each case in Feedback is an individual entry. Could you elaborate?

In feedback, you can (in the past) report bugs and ask for new features.

There was an entry about feature requests with its rank.

I do not see that anymore (there was a long time since I look at it).

Now, it may just be me (but I cleared the Xojo Feedback folder).

User favourites

That’s it Norman !!!

With that name, I was thinking it is MY ufavorites, so I do not checked (probably).

There also … My Top Cases, My Favorites, My Cases… but these are explicit (My…) :wink:

64-bit ARM Linux support is now the 8th most popular Feedback request. I thought we could get it higher than it was, but didn’t think it would break the top 10!

<https://xojo.com/issue/42794>

I think the issue for them here is that Raspberry probably does not generate many “Direct sales” so they don’t see it in their books to realize the importance of this one.

When Xojo support came for Raspberry PI then I saw good will towards Xojo all over and I saw new customers come to me with new types of questions.

Did it generate many direct sales for Xojo ? Possibly not. But getting good will and getting users to see Xojo and touch does bring users to the whole platform which should generate indirect sales.

[quote=481077:@Björn Eiríksson]I think the issue for them here is that Raspberry probably does not generate many “Direct sales” so they don’t see it in their books to realize the importance of this one.

When Xojo support came for Raspberry PI then I saw good will towards Xojo all over and I saw new customers come to me with new types of questions.

Did it generate many direct sales for Xojo ? Possibly not. But getting good will and getting users to see Xojo and touch does bring users to the whole platform which should generate indirect sales.[/quote]

If they only knew what we’ve build with xojo on the Pi.

[quote=481077:@Björn Eiríksson]I think the issue for them here is that Raspberry probably does not generate many “Direct sales” so they don’t see it in their books to realize the importance of this one.

Did it generate many direct sales for Xojo ? Possibly not. But getting good will and getting users to see Xojo and touch does bring users to the whole platform which should generate indirect sales.[/quote]
Pi only licenses are free arent they ?

Yes they are and is why I am saying maybe it does not count directly in their books.

But the good will and publicity around it is probably a lot more than they think.

I have recently been developing more for the Raspberry Pi. (CANBus data logging and management systems) Being able to develop everything on my mac while I’m away from the hardware and then build for arm knowing that it most likely will just work is why I like Xojo. The lack of arm64 is not hindering what I do at all right now, but with Apple rumored to start shipping arm based Macs and Raspberry Pi now reaching 4gb of RAM, it might be worth looking at. I guess it comes down to Xojo’s priorities and where they can see monetary value. Maybe charging to build for arm64 to recoup development costs?

When Apple shows & ships Xcode on an iPad then I’ll seriously worry they are going to ship an ARM based mac that I might need to move to. Until then developers are going to need and demand machines that support Xcode and whatever other tools are used to create apps for the rest of the consumers of Macs, iPhones and iPads

Folks who don’t write apps are NOT going to care if the machine is Intel based or ARM based or whatever
They’re going to ask “does it run facebook and youtube and let me read my email etc”

And THAT is a vastly different focus than “can I compile this app for users to use”

As for ARM 64 for other targets I would guess “It’s not a priority right now” is suitable

From what I remember,

• Xojo changed to free Pi license for console only
  • then they made an announcement that regular (desktop?) apps for Pi can be created too with the free license

With a free Pi license, you can save your console application code in text format. You can’t save in text format if it is a desktop application, only binary.

Going from $0 license to $299 license to be able to save in text format is difficult to sell. Even adding 64bit ARM will be hard to sell.

But, RPi is not the ONLY platform and it’s not like old Mac and Windows where you can build a 32bit app and it runs. For some ofthe ARM platforms, there is no 32bit or “multiverse” option, so we simply can’t build Xojo apps for those other platforms.

Maybe the Free ARM license should be locked to non-commercial, OSS use.