Apps not running on Windows 7 SP 1

I assume this has been resolved as the thread is marked as answered.

If I hit the “This answers my question” button then this was an accident.
Unfortunately our customer doesn’t have much time at the moment to let me investigate the issue further so I have to be a little bit patient.

Ah ok, you can go back to your original post (at the top) and hover over the answer there, in the top right corner of the answer there is an X, if you click that it will unmark it as answered.

I don’t think anyone has said it already, ensure that the machines are fully windows updated including the optional updates.

If you throw me a link to the exe, I’ll take a look in the various VMs I have.

[quote=340325:@Louis Desjardins]OK. So the obvious is taken care of. And the usual suspects were already cleared… So, we’re shooting in the dark. Bear with me if the questions are a bit silly:

• In the event viewer, I suppose that you looked not only at Windows / Application, but also Windows / System?

• Is your application trying to access restricted areas of the filesystem?

• Did you try to run the application with elevated priviledges (run as administrator - even if the user is a member of the admin group)?

• Is the application trying to load a plugin that may not be in the expected location?

• I suppose that you used an installer for the application, and not just a copy of the build folders.[/quote]

• No events regarding my app in the event viewer (in all categories).

• No access to restricted areas of the filesystem.

• Tried to run as administrator - no success.

• No missing plugins.

• Installer was used.

The same app compiled with Xojo 2015r4.1 is working without any problems.

If I was you, I would be creating a crash dump and see if someone from Xojo can help:
http://developer.xojo.com/techinfo/creating-crash-dumps

[quote=340947:@Kevin Gale]If I was you, I would be creating a crash dump and see if someone from Xojo can help:
http://developer.xojo.com/techinfo/creating-crash-dumps[/quote]

There is no crash.
The app is showing only the splash screen and then seems to “stop”.
Nothing is happening anymore.

My guess is that it is some type of Windows exception that isn’t being caught by the Xojo framework. Have you tried following those instructions to see if a dump gets created?

Here is a MSDN blog that might help:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chaun/2013/11/12/steps-to-catch-a-simple-crash-dump-of-a-crashing-process/

Alternatively, if you have the MBS plug-ins you might be able to use WinExceptionMBS to help debug the problem:
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/class-winexceptionmbs.shtml

[quote=340950:@Kevin Gale]My guess is that it is some type of Windows exception that isn’t being caught by the Xojo framework. Have you tried following those instructions to see if a dump gets created?

Here is a MSDN blog that might help:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/chaun/2013/11/12/steps-to-catch-a-simple-crash-dump-of-a-crashing-process/

Alternatively, if you have the MBS plug-ins you might be able to use WinExceptionMBS to help debug the problem:
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/class-winexceptionmbs.shtml[/quote]

I tried the MBS plugin but no exception occured.

I had a similar problem (but I am not sure if it is really connected to your issue) with an app developed for a customer running a 64 Bit installation of Win 7:
The set-up wizard ran completely fine, but then it would not open the main window. After some time Windows notified me that the app had stopped working, but without really helpful hints.

It drove me crazy because on my virtual win 7 installation everything was running smoothly. Having problems with the customer’s wireless network, I could not install a remote debugger to see what’s going on (I had my MacBook with me), so I temporarily installed Xojo on the client’s computer. The app ran perfectly in debug mode. I then compiled the project on this computer and it ran too.

The only thing that makes the main window special is I use a few Einhugur controls and some of Christian’s plugins here, whereas the setup windows are pure Xojo code. But I have no idea if that might be connected, and I cannot block the client’s computer for a longer time to do some tests.

@Ulrich Bogun At least there are some common parallels between your case and mine:

• Customer is also running Win7 64 bit
  • Setup wizard ran completely fine but main window is not opened.
  • I’m also using some Einhugur and MBS plugins.

Auf gut Deutsch: Ich bin mit meinem Latein am Ende.
Oder in Denglish: I have finished with my Latin.
Oder in Englisch: I am at my wit’s end.

A solution to this is to sprinkle your application with logging to a file (that is flushed) and see how far it gets before it stops logging. That might give you somewhere to look and maybe you could try producing a small text app with the code/features just after the logging stopped to narrow it down further. Another test is to produce a small test app that has the controls you use on separate windows and have a next button on each window that opens another test, keep going until it crashes.

Yes, I did so. And it came to where the setup wizard finished and did not continue on the main window open – it silently died.
The second idea is a very good one. I will try that on the next visit.

Romani eunt domum? :smiley:

Already tried this. If I can remember correctly then the last method call that gets executed in the splash screen is

Dim MainWindow As New WinMain MainWindow.Show

and the open event of WinMain is not fired then.
But I can investigate this one more time to be sure.
Maybe I also have to check all the open events of the controls in WinMain and see which ones get fired.

Ein herrlicher Film :-).

[quote]Already tried this. If I can remember correctly then the last method call that gets executed in the splash screen is

Dim MainWindow As New WinMain
MainWindow.Show
and the open event of WinMain is not fired then.[/quote]

This is the point I reached.
When one window wouldn’t open, I built a version that opened a simpler window first.
It didn’t matter which window or which controls… as soon as we hit anywindow.show … the app just vanished off the radar

Only on one customer’s machine so far, (not counting any potential customer who encounters the problem running the demo who presumably says nothing but then just doesnt buy)

[quote=341242:@Jeff Tullin]When one window wouldn’t open, I built a version that opened a simpler window first.
It didn’t matter which window or which controls… as soon as we hit anywindow.show … the app just vanished off the radar[/quote]

So you mean even a complete new and empty window wouldn’t open?

Never tried it on a window with no controls at all. Now I dont have the customer any more, so ‘the machine’ isnt available for any more testing.

Okay, at least some success now ;-).
I removed some “suspicious” controls from my WinMain and tried if the window would launch again.
As soon as I removed a HTMLViewer control (WebKit as renderer) the WinMain appears again as usual.

Problem found but what to do now :-)?
How to figure out what’s wrong with the HTMLViewer control?

I’ll try to create a small demo project.

Unfortunately I’m not able to reproduce it in a small sample project.
I also tried to comment every code regarding the HTMLViewer control and to delete the control and insert it completely new but WinMain still won’t show.
Everything I know is that the app is running (WinMain is shown) as soon as I remove the HTMLViewer control.

HTMLViewer can’t be the reason in my case – there is none on my MainWindow. But anyway: Looks like we are really getting to the point: There seem to be some controls that do not open on Win 7 64 Bit, or at least if the build is done on a Mac like it was in my case.

My build was done on Windows 10.