ABXPlay (WebGL/HTML5 canvas) progress update 6 (SpriteSheets and Spine animations)

Interestingly, it works just fine for me here on Safari 7.1…

It works fine for me as well with Safari 7.0.3. Still running at 60 fps after loading when there are no particle emitters or rain. It runs at 56-60 with rain, 59-60 with 1 particle emitter, 33-45 fps with 5 particle emitters, 25-39 fps with 10 particle emitters, a steady 20 with 15 emitters, and only 16 with 20 emitters. With 25+ the lower limit seems to be 10 fps.

@Peter Truskier , @Jason King

Interesting observations! On Chrome (Windows), I see no difference in FPS, it crashes before I can click a 100 times. :wink:

But a dropping should be normal I guess as every time you click, about 80 kennys are generated per second and that for 5 seconds (that’s something like 400 kennys per click. So in my case on Chrome that’s reaching probably over 15000 kennys (taking into account the ones that faded away so 40000 - 25000). On Safari, that’s to much it seems.

Remember, this is all very early stage, and a lot of stuff needs to be done and optimized. The browser builders did not make it easy on us programmers. They support all different kind of API’s, and you have to adept :slight_smile:

About the audio. I’m running it on a OSX in VMWare (windows), so that may have something to do with it. However, some tests on iPhone and iPad would be nice, as they are the ones most suffering of the bad audio support. I’m using howler.js to handle the audio but I may have to fiddle a bit with it, or check out another lib. I’ll work on this. Thank you for testing it!

Additional: this demo runs at a bigger resolution (1680x934) than the other demo’s so that may have an effect on the safari browser FPS wise.

On my Mac Pro late 2009 with OS 10.9.5 and the current version of Safari, when I click as fast as I can there is a very short decline to about 44 FPS but most of the time it’s running with rain and sound at steady 60 FPS. This is absolutely brillant, Alain!

And I’m really glad to hear you escaped the scalpel, at least for now! I hope you don’t take it as a presumption but if your problems stem from bladder (or rather liver) stones a good healer could guide you through a liver cleansing weekend after Hulda Clark. This has in many cases removed every indication for a surgery. Drawback: Such a weekend gives no room for social activities whatsoever …

@Ulrich Bogun great to hear that! Does the audio play ok? I have a feeling I’m not yet finished with that part (especially on iPhones and iPads).

And yes, I think I may have to start living a little bit more healthier. Although I lost 30kg in the last year, it seems I have to do some more efforts. My living and work space are starting to merge more and more and that does have an effect on my way of life. :slight_smile:

Yes, had no problems with audio: Music and voices playing nicely. Or should there be rain sound too?

In two cases, it worked on second try, giving a

Could not execute returned javascript: Attempted to assign to readonly property. Source: XojoCustom.alwaysbusy.abxplay.update([[301, '',['kennyEmit1','kennyemit',830,467]]])
error first. After reload everything was ok.

About health and computer work: Wow, 30 kg is amazing! I used to have a bit too much too but around my 40th birthday my body stopped demanding meat and developed a preference for organic food. Guess that saved me a lot of trouble because I am glued to my chair for more than 20 years now …

A bit off topic, but the following book really is a great read, on how you can easily make a very positive impact to your lifestyle…

“Rewire your brain - Think your way to a better life” by John B Arden.

Chrome 29-60 FPS
FF 38-60 FPS
IE 45-61 FPS

Got my feet wet with all that rain :wink: and the sound worked fine, music and voices of both puppets.

All low measurements are while all three browsers were running this page together and while clicking like mad everywhere and constant activating the voices, music plays continuously.

@Ulrich Bogun I think it has something to do with clicking while preloading as I haven’t done such a protection yet.

@Alwyn Bester I’m a huge fan of ‘What the bleep do we know’ and this has changed my view on life also. Going to put that book on my toread list :slight_smile:

@Andre Kuiper hahaha, made me laugh out loud! Must be quite a sight seeing you do that. Webcam next time? :slight_smile:

@Alain: Yes, that must be it. I clicked on it, unsure if it would wait for a click.

And to add some more valuable OT: I recommend one of the basic epigenetics books by Bruce Lipton. Gives a very enlightening insight on how genes really work, makes some healthier lifestyle a very logical choice too and is a great addition to the bleep stuff.

Hooray! Help is finally coming our South Park friends way. Chef is in da house!

Big changes in the framework:

• Complete rewrite of preload (should be faster)
  • each page has its own thread to communicate
  • [EXPERIMENTAL] Multi user support!
    When you load the app, you get a unique id (format xxx xxx xxx). You can see this number in the title of the page when loaded. Events you cause in your browser can effect other users who are also working in the app. For instance, you can click in your browser to start a tween and this will also happen in the browsers of the other users. This could be very nice to build strategie games for example. Or office apps where you have to cooperate to do something. Still a work in progress of course. e.g. for this experiment,everyone is joining the fun and in real life app you shouldn’t :slight_smile:

So what happens in de demo: (same link as in post 1 for a couple of hours)

Same as before (but Kenny’s are generated for everyone) and now Chef is also here. Unlike Stan and Eric, Chef is not draggable. He moves by clicking on him. If you are the frist one clicking Chef, he be surrounded by magic gaz and will move towards your Stan with a random tween. All the other users will see exactly the same movement, but not to their Stan, but somewhere unknown. While Chef is walking, nobody can click him, so you’ll have to guess when Chef will stop, and be clickable again.

So the goal is to get Chef to your Stan. You can distract people by generating Kennys or let it rain by clicking Stan.

Notes:

• if you join a game and others are already playing, the first time chef moves, he’ll jump (start) from the same position as everyone else.
  • You also notice that the sound effects are ‘transferred’
  • If nobody is in the app at the time you are, open a couple of browsers yourself and you’ll see the broadcasting of the events. Also handy if you try to run some tests in different browsers and don’t want to strain a muscle. Yes, we are thinking on your health @Andre Kuiper :slight_smile:

Working like a charm, Alain! Worst Framerate on OS X 10.9.5 and current Safari was 44 when the whole screen was filled by Kennies and me and whoever I played with switched the rain on and off at the same time. Very impressive!

@Ulrich Bogun Whoever was me :slight_smile: Yes, the rain was a nice effect! First time I could see it at work with multiple players, as my pc only has one mouse :wink:

Well done Alain. Running at a solid 60 FPS in Firefox Windows 7 x64. Like the cross-browser events idea. That is something that can be very useful in any web application that requires collaboration between users.

Here is the link again for those to lazy to scroll to the top…

http://alwaysbusy.no-ip.org

All three together:
FF 31-61 FPS
IE 45-61 FPS
Chrome 20-60 FPS

Feeling a bit honored … :slight_smile:

@Ulrich Bogun No need! It’s a privilege to be able to get the support from you guys. A rather unique Xojo feature :slight_smile:

Indeed! Besides the few times when emotions go wild this forum is so much win-win(-win) it compensates for the things which may (yet) not be implemented in Xojo. Needless to say your outstanding projects create a lot of inspiration.

@Ulrich Bogun hahaha (to avoid emoticon), those emoticons indeed! I’m not without guilt myself. (Preventing myself to put a smiley here)