About the new File Type Set Editor

[quote=225272:@Norman Palardy]And FWIW if youre going to test things out create a brand new account thats NEVER had your software on it and put a copy there
Run your software in that new account
Then see if double clicking a file from your software opens your software as expected[/quote]

Yup. Thanks. But, isn’t that the same as using the Guest Account, clean-wise? Your way obviously would work too, but if I want to continue to build and then test on a clean system, I figured the Guest Account would be easier, just because when you quit out of the guest account it’s supposed to erase all evidence you were ever there in the first place? I hope that’s the case because otherwise the Guest account isn’t quite as great an idea as I thought.

I use a brand new account every time (lots of nuking of accounts etc)
That way I know theres NO remnants from anything

[quote=225297:@Norman Palardy]I use a brand new account every time (lots of nuking of accounts etc)
That way I know theres NO remnants from anything[/quote]

You obviously don’t trust that the Guest Account doesn’t supposedly do just that! You’re a careful dude! More power to ya…

SUCCESS! Thank Norman (and Sam, etc) for all your help. I should say SUCCESS I THINK. This associating of applications with documents on the Mac is apparently a little more of an art than a science.

Anyway, Norman, your advice was spot-on. I’m still not nuts about the fact that I have to somewhat intermix the old way (Creator/FileTypes) with the new UTI method to handle app/doc associations, but it DOES seem to work on my first quick tests on my own machine, on a Guest User account, and on still limited other trials too. More testing will be done for sure.

FYI, I did put back the references to Creator and File Types (using the old way) AND added the new UTI way using the superb new File Type Set Editor, I also changed the File Types listing of which docs should be EDITABLE. Anyway, for now at least, it works! Double-clicked documents open up my app as they should. So far so good.

THANK YOU for your help. It is very much appreciated.