Learning Xojo: Recommended resources

Hello, I am attempting to learn Xojo. I am new to GUI programming and object oriented programming. However I have many years of experience with TCL and Perl.

I have been reading through the “introduction to programming” It is good but not quite enough.

I tried looking at the user guide. They are too brief. For example, pdf on user interfaces has 2 pages dedicated to creating custom controls.

The install tree has tons of great examples. However, it lacks an index as to which example explain which concepts. Even once an example is brought up, there is no way to understand why things were done the way they appear. Like something on how to create the example from scratch.

I searched on Amazon for books but they are all for realbasic which are many years old. From what I see on Wikipedia, xojo released a major update June which revamped the UI. So it is unclear to me if any of the books on Amazon would be of benefit.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Perhaps the webinars would be helpful for you:

http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Videos

Did you go through the Tutorial on documentation.xojo.com

I am actually having the same dilemma as Glenn. I am a php developer and wanting to get my hands on Xojo. And i have been wondering what programming language i need to study in order to be proficient in xojo…? The availability of full and complete tutorials like the kinds on Lynda.com etc. I would really appreciate any help.

Try this one www.vtc.com Real Studio Course by Paul Lefebvre , it still applies to Xojo, and watch webinars with Paul.
Paul is talented instructor. If you understand or have basics skils in programming then you gain quickly from webinars.

BKeeney Software (me) has roughly 42 hours (over 110 separate projects) of Training Video on Real Studio and Xojo at http://www.bkeeney.com/XojoTraining/xojotraining.cgi. A majority are in Real Studio but I don’t think that would stop anyone from understanding how to do the same thing in Xojo. Most video tutorials comes with a project file with code you can use in your own projects.

There’s roughly 6 hours for free (registration required) and the rest for subscribers. It is my goal in the next month or so to put up a complete series on making a more or less complete web app. If it’s anything like my Journal Entry db app project it will be over 10 hours.

Currently we’ve streamed almost 7,600 hours of training video for thousands of Real Studio and Xojo developers.

After than, we have a number of tutorials and sample projects at https://www.bkeeney.com/rbinto/ and if you check in the downloads section of the website there are additional code samples.

Also check out www.xojodeveloper.com and www.xojolibrary.com. Good resources for tutorials and articles.

www.xojodevspot.com free library with portable reusable code library of 400+ demos and functions in a single download.

Not free, but there’s more than a decade of articles published by xDev Magazine (http://www.xdevmag.com). The beginner’s column is a terrific resource if you’re just getting started. It goes into more detail than many tutorials which just skim the surface. If you’re a student, the academic subscriptions and back issues are half price.

[quote=80620:@piotr dabrowski]Try this one www.vtc.com Real Studio Course by Paul Lefebvre , it still applies to Xojo, and watch webinars with Paul.
Paul is talented instructor. If you understand or have basics skils in programming then you gain quickly from webinars.[/quote]

I have just finished the first video series from VTC (RealBasic By Al Anderson). 98% of that video still applies to Xojo.
I was surprised at what I did pick up from watching it.

Just about to start the second video series from VTC (Real Studio By Paul Lefebvre). Looking forward to this one.
Appears to be more a hands on approach.

I have viewed a few free video’s on Bobs site and will be back with a subscription to view the others in the near future.

The xDev Magazine is an enjoyable read as well.

Quite a few resources around if you are willing to put the time in and find them.

Xojo by Example is a website aimed at helping beginners get started with Xojo Desktop.
xojobyexample.com

Looks like a very nice website.

I get “XojoDeveloper.com is for sale” on hugedomains.com if i try that.

It’s not a learning resource as such, but XojoNews will keep you informed of any new Xojo releases, plugins, tutorials and anything else Xojo related, so you’ll not miss a thing. It’s updated daily, totally free and has nearly 1500 unique visitors every month.

www.xojonews.com