IDE significant slow down

I’m having an increasingly bad experience in the current IDE. Xojo keeps slowing down to the point where I get the spinning wheel when changing tabs, and I can type, sit back, and watch the text flow in after.
Everything seems ok, but over time it gets slower and slower.
Right now I’m only working on a web app, so I’m not sure if that’s part of the equation or not.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Anyone know if there is something that can be done to prevent it?

Only fire Xojo (no other application running concurently)
Leave 50GB of free space on the boot disk,
Use a SSD to boot you OS (whatever it is),
Always shut down and power on your computer, (two to more times a day) *,
Add the application and custom icons in latest beta version of the application (project),
Do not copy/move data (many small files, usually) while using the IDE,
etc.

• The more you create files in your save disk (boot disk too), the slower the whole computer will work.
    Shutdown, wait a minute, reboot while you’re drinking a cup of tea will cure that (redo the power off/on process if once was not enough).
    Eventually, limit the number of items in the Download folder to less than 300 (or less than 200) items.

[quote=438876:@Chris Halford]I’m having an increasingly bad experience in the current IDE. Xojo keeps slowing down to the point where I get the spinning wheel when changing tabs, and I can type, sit back, and watch the text flow in after.
Everything seems ok, but over time it gets slower and slower.
Right now I’m only working on a web app, so I’m not sure if that’s part of the equation or not.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Anyone know if there is something that can be done to prevent it?[/quote]

OS ?
if you’re on macOS are you in Dark mode ?
Xojo Version ?
Machine characteristics (RAM CPU Hd or SSD ?)

knowing some of those things would help

ie/ the IDE in dark mode is sluggish

@Norman Palardy -->

Xojo 2019 r1.
Mac 10.14.4.
Not in dark mode (I thought that was the culprit).
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5.
8GB Ram.

In case you need more…
Eastern timezone.
Capricorn.
I like Pina colada, and getting caught in the rain.
6 feet 0 inches
167 lbs.
Size 11.5 shoe.
Blue eyes.
4 children (2 grown).
Prefer salty to sweet treats.

(?)

and no favourite drink ?
some folks expect everything and dont give much information :stuck_out_tongue:

First update to 2019r1.1 as it does fix a few issues

Beyond that web apps have always been “slower” in the IDE than desktop ones in part because the IDE has to draw everything
There were some recent updates to improve speed

Beyond that quite honestly more RAM might actually help - but I realize thats impossible without swapping machines
Open Activity monitor & see what it says for how much RAM is in use and IF there is more in use than physical you could be running into swap hell where the OS has to swap in RAM data out to virtual memory (on disk) This can be really slow and really slow processes down

Capricorn ? … well that settles it. There’s your problem :stuck_out_tongue:

These bugs and issues are super hard to track down. I’m on 2019 r1.1 on Mojave running dark mode and the IDE has never been better for me. I appreciate that doesn’t help you but there may be something on your system conflicting.

Are you running any third party plugins?

@Norman Palardy , drink depends on context: Coffee, Gatorade, Guinness…
I didn’t realize there was an update, so I’ll do that today. Thanks. I can live with my birth month being the problem. I was worried you’d ask me about my brand of running shoe, because I’m not about to swap out my Adidas Boosts!

I do have a desktop system I can use as well, so I’m not limited to 8gb.

@Garry Pettet, In fact, I use a ton of MBS plugins. But I don’t think they are the problem. They are loaded, but not used in this project. That is a good question though.

Running shoes ???
good grief - my most common footwear lately has been steel toed work boots … no wonder things are so messed up there :stuck_out_tongue:

loaded but unused plugins should not cause a problem at least not in thelayout editor
however they are searched when in the code editor for possible completions so they do have an effect

@Chris Halford:

I have the same issue.

Especially when using the Variable Inspector while my app is running. If I click the popupmenu above it, I’ll get the spinning beach ball.

OS X 10.4.4
16GB of RAM
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Xojo 2019r1.1
MBS Plugins
MacBook Pro 15inch TouchBar

In Darkmode it was worse so I switched back to regular. I still get the spinning wheel often.

Typing often does get slow so I have to quit and restart Xojo and then it is OK.

I’m also eastern time zone, blue eyes, slightly shorter, heavier and no kids. So eye color and timezone could be the issue :slight_smile:

Hear ! Hear !

<https://xojo.com/issue/55826>

in general I find 10.14 slower with the IDE in both light and dark mode
and the IDE slower in 10.14 in light mode than on 10.12 or 10.13

those samples may shed some light on why this is but dark mode is noticeably slow

2019r1 and r1.1 are sluggish for me, but thankfully I’m not experiencing the severe performance degradation that others are reporting. I feel like r1.1 is a bit better. That said the beach ball when using the variable inspector is horrible. It’s making debugging a real pain.

2015 MBP 15" i7 2.8ghz 16gb 1tb SSD 10.14.5 MBS (partial set - I don’t use all of them so not all the files are loaded).

I always think it’s prudent to run with as minimal plugin set as you can get away with. Having the entire MBS set is simply too much. Doing a smaller set will force the plugin cache to be reset. You can reset the plugin cache in preferences which is always a good idea on occasion.

Since I am doing some Windows projects now, I am using the Windows version in a Parallels Win10 VM, and I believe 2019R1.1 is the most fluent IDE I had since long time.
But I keep the habit to restart the IDE let’s say half way the day since I experience it going slower and less stable after some long hours.

@Bob Keeney do you not find changing your plugin makes the following compile time to be awful annoying as it prepares plugins?

it does the first time

Sure, but I tend to run a minimum set that works across everything I’m working on a the present time. Let’s me go many weeks, if not months before changing plugin sets.

Check your memory usage. Once you start compressing memory you need to reboot computer to get it back.
I have same problems on 10.14.4 iMac 5K with 32Gigs of memory. I have a screen grab of Xojo using 27.32Gigs of memory and 8.09 gigs compressed. All because I used the inspector.

How are you coming to this conclusion? If you have reproducible steps, I’d love to see them.

Heck even a movie taken at 2 or 3 frames per second from when you launch to when it gets in this state would probably be helpful.

[quote=439339:@Greg O’Lone]How are you coming to this conclusion? If you have reproducible steps, I’d love to see them.

Heck even a movie taken at 2 or 3 frames per second from when you launch to when it gets in this state would probably be helpful.[/quote]

What’s the best app to capture this with?

I can easily replicate. It does take a couple of debug runs, the memory is never released after it ends, well not all of it.

I say it’s the inspector as it will be sitting at 13 gigs and 1 or 2 gigs compressed paused in code and when using the inspector I get the beach ball and the memory jumps to 20+ gigs pushing all other apps into compressed.

From there everything slows down.

The project is large, very large. Is there a way to find the number of classes, modules etc. I just added 100-150 classes to support Metal so there are a lot of declares etc.