Prep Fedora/CentOS/SuSE for Xojo use

1. 7 months ago

Tim J

27 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ
    Edited 7 months ago

Hi Folks,

If you use Fedora, CentOS, or a SuSE/OpenSuSE variant, there are a few things to take into account to get the Xojo environment running. Since all three default to KDE/QT as the desktop environment (unless you download a custom GNOME/GTK version), there are some things that you will need to do BEFORE trying to run the IDE. Also, do not bother with the DEB/RPM packages and just get the TGZ Xojo package.

Download the Xojo TGZ package to your Downloads folder and do this in a Terminal:

sudo -s
    yum -y install gtk3 gtk3-devel libunwind
    cd /opt
    mkdir xojo
    cd xojo
    tar -zxvf ~/Downloads/xojo2018r4.tgz

Next, add this file to /usr/share/applications/:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymcl05hvfq5mvxt/xojo2018r4.desktop?dl=1

You still need to use sudo to add any plugins to the resulting install in /opt/xojo/xojo2018/Plugins.

You're now there based on my experience with CentOS 7.5.

Note - this also applies to other Linux distros, as well.

Updated 2019r1.1 .desktop file here:
    Xojo 2019r1.1 Linux .desktop file

Also, since the icon setting is wrong in the Feedback deb/rpm, I also fixed Feedback file:
    Xojo Feedback Desktop file

2. Paul L

27 Feb 2019 Xojo Inc, Third Party Store http://docs.xojo.com

Thanks, Tim.

I've added these steps to the System Requirements page :

3. Tim J

It should also be updated that there is an outstanding Feedback feature request for the .desktop and mime types files to be made available for download:

Feedback Case #46267

4. René L

27 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers Ratingen, Duesseldorf, Germany
    Edited 7 months ago

Hello @Tim J,

Strange i am Using Xojo with OpenSUSE 15.0 X64 Mate Desktop (Cinnamon and KDE also Installed). I used the RPMs for Install - And it Works great. - Yes while Installing i had to ignore the Warning about the "Unsigned / Corrupted" Package (and Via the GUI) i simply installed it ignoring some dependencys. Especially the "*armhf.*" dependency - because it is shipped with Xojo itself.

For Info the Feedback App Segfaults on Mate Desktop (i still don't know why) - So to start and Use the Feedback App i have to switch Desktops (to Cinammon or KDE) - where it works Good.

Best Regards,

René Landscheidt

5. Tim J

@RenéLandscheidt Yes while Installing i had to ignore the Warning about the "Unsigned / Corrupted" Package (and Via the GUI) i simply installed it ignoring some dependencys. Especially the "*armhf.*" dependency - because it is shipped with Xojo itself.

My steps alleviate any of that type of manipulation. You and I KNOW how that works, but many do not.

6. René L

Ok. That's right.

I also think that perhaps Xojo could look into OpenBuildService for Building the Packages.

Hmm. I think i make a feature Request for this.

PS: It is by OpenSUSE but it Supports building for other Linux-Platforms also.

7. Tim J

SuSE's OBS expects source level packages. We're a SuSE development partner (and have been since the late 1990s).

8. René L

Edited 7 months ago

Well, i have only created OBS-VM Server ad not really Configured Everything and gotten around to testing.

I Only saw that that they added new features to OBS after they shutdown SUSE-Studio (which i really liked) - to make up for the closing of SUSE-Studio.

I also just saw packages on software.opensuse.org which were not for OpenSUSE - Build via the OBS - saw Fedora- and Debian- Packages. And found it Interesting that i could build for multiple target Distros (I mean I could even build a AppImage to distribute the App.) - which is why i really want to look further into it - to maybe have a better way to build DEBs and RPMs (end maybe even AppImages) for my Apps.

I found a Howto to Build RPMs & DEBs from a "Binary"-Source File. So it should be possible to create the App (with Xojo or how every you want to an then Submit the tar.gz to OBS (or what ever format you want to use - as long as OBS can use it) with the ".spec" & ".dsc" files to build the packages via OBS for Distro Installation.

9. 5 months ago

Tim J

Apr 14 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dehydrating in AZ

Updated 2019r1 .desktop file here:
    Xojo 2019r1 Linux Desktop file

Also, since the icon setting is wrong in the Feedback deb/rpm, I also fixed Feedback file:

Copy them both into /usr/share/applications/ and they will show up in your Activities/Start/Applications menu.

10. 3 months ago

Tim J

Jun 9 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Answer Dehydrating in AZ
    Edited 3 months ago

Note - this also applies to other Linux distros, as well.

Updated 2019r1.1 .desktop file here:
    Xojo 2019r1.1 Linux .desktop file

or Sign Up to reply!