REALenum for a class or control

1. 8 months ago

Alfred V

30 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers

It looks like REALenum is recognized in code completion but once the compiler gets involved it simply does not recognize the enumeration. Pretty disturbing, also because SharedMethods in a control still don't work Feedback Case #47903, but can be worked around my declaring a subclass of the control and register the shared methods in that subclass. I guess it is only me complaining about these kind of issues, but it diminishes proper development of plugins. REALenums only work in a module, thus making sure that stuff specific for a plugin control or class is being seen all over the place. Yay! Containment should be the mantra as far as I can judge it.

2. Björn E

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Iceland

There is nothing wrong with Enums on classes at least. I use them extensively. For controls I do not know.

3. Christian S

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

I avoid them and just make constants.

4. Tim P

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY
    Edited 8 months ago

I prefer the way Björn does enums with plugins like ExcelWriter. It makes it easier for me to know for sure the value I'm sending is the correct one.

5. Bob K

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Kansas City

Enums are explicit. Whereas constants can be used improperly.

6. Alfred V

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers

@Björn Eiacute;ksson There is nothing wrong with Enums on classes at least. I use them extensively. For controls I do not know.

Thanks for the heads up. Did some thorough checking, and indeed the REALenum is ok for a class and even a control. But the sharedMethods for a control is not possible as was confirmed two years ago.

7. Alfred V

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers

@Bob K Enums are explicit. Whereas constants can be used improperly.

Indeed.

8. 7 months ago

Christian S

31 Jan 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

I'd love to use more enums, but can you define them globally for transition?

e.g. instead of

kSomeValue = 1

make an enum with kSomeValue and than just use kSomeValue without writing MyModule.MyEnum.kSomeValue?

9. Björn E

1 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Iceland

You cannot as far as I know but you can do myClass.MyEnum.SomeValue.

But I think that's a good thing to scope it. I for example have Alignment in Excel plugin and Alignment in PDF and alignment in new plugin that is in the works, each is unrelated to each other. Scoping them is a good thing

10. Alfred V

1 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers

You would think that in a Module the flag REALScopeGlobal should do the trick, but it does not. It (for obvious reasons, I think) does not when the enum is attached to class or control, which then behaves as REALScopePublic. Guess that REALScopeGlobal is superfluous.

11. Tim P

1 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@ChristianSchmitz make an enum with kSomeValue and than just use kSomeValue without writing MyModule.MyEnum.kSomeValue?

I don't mind (and prefer) the namespacing though. Then I know that the enum belongs to the plugin I'm using.

12. Christian S

1 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

The problem is transition.

e.g. if I have a constant named kTest in a class MyClass and user pass that to a method, they would write

dim c as myclass
    c.test myclass.kTest

or similar.
    Now I would love to move that into an enum. But if they now need to add the name of the enum, it would break code.
    In C the values for enums are global, so you can refer them without naming enum. You would simply write kTest and get the value as enum type.

13. Tim P

1 Feb 2019 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY
    Edited 7 months ago

@ChristianSchmitz The problem is transition.

Now I would love to move that into an enum. But if they now need to add the name of the enum, it would break code.

I get that. I for one am not afraid of updating code; but it's the general Xojo Mojo that doing any kind of updating is the end of the world. Doesn't mean I love your plugins any less!

or Sign Up to reply!