BinaryStream Data Corruption

Hi. I have a Windows user in Korea that is having trouble opening a binary project file my app creates. I use the code below to create and open and it works fine for everybody else but for some reason the data seems to be corrupted for him.

I have no trouble opening the data he saves on my Windows machine and have debugged various ways with him testing to see how it is getting corrupted but have no idea.

Could it be a LittleEndian / BigEndian issue?

// Save

FileData = ConvertEncoding(FileData, Encodings.UTF8)

binary = BinaryStream.Create(Document, True)

If binary <> Nil then
    binary.WriteInt32 lenB(FileData)
    binary.Write FileData
    binary.Close
  End If

// Open
binary = BinaryStream.Open(Document, False)

If binary <> Nil then

Do Until binary.EOF
    i = binary.ReadInt32
    FileData = FileData + binary.Read(i)
  Loop

binary.Close

FileData = DefineEncoding(FileData, Encodings.UTF8)

End If

Are you sure this here was valid?

FileData = ConvertEncoding(FileData, Encodings.UTF8)

As in did FileData have encoding at all before converting ? Or was it binary data or text without encoding ? (Either case then that would be the cause right there)

And no it could not be big vs little endian issue since that happens between Intel and PPC CPU’s and PPC CPU’s dont exist any more.

Hi Bjorn. The FileData is UTF8 and says so in the Xojo Debugger before the ConvertEncoding call but I just added it before the file save just to be sure. Is it possible that a string could somehow accidentally have mixed encodings, perhaps mostly UTF8 and an unknown nil encoding string part of it but because the majority of it is UTF8 Xojo thinks it’s UTF8? If so, then the ConvertEncoding wouldn’t correctly work or would force the wrong encoding and cause the data corruption issue.

Pretty sure Xojo always suggests UTF8 for internal string variables.
In Korea, if the user created the text, it could easily be in UTF-16

As far as I can tell, UTF-8 requires 3 bytes per Asian character, and UTF-16 only requires 2 bytes per Asian character.

Did you set the right binarysteam.Littleendian = True/False?

Try littlendian = True

Don’t do that without checking if it’s already UTF-8. You could actually cause issues for yourself. Wrap that code like this:

if filedata.Encoding <> Encodings.UTF8 then FileData = ConvertEncoding(FileData, Encodings.UTF8) End If

[quote=373331:@Greg O’Lone]Don’t do that without checking if it’s already UTF-8. You could actually cause issues for yourself. Wrap that code like this:

if filedata.Encoding <> Encodings.UTF8 then FileData = ConvertEncoding(FileData, Encodings.UTF8) End If[/quote]

huh? I thought it is a NOP when I convert UTF8 Text to UTF8…
Can you elaborate?