Help converting an old REALbasic file

Hi,

I have a very old project that will only open in REALbasic 5.5. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Mac that will run Rb 5.5 (PowerPC); Could someone with the right combination of software/hardware do me a favor by opening up the project and saving it as an XML project? :slight_smile:

John

I’ve got projects that are “vintage” as well and I can usually just change their extension to either .rbp or .xojo_binary_project and they’ll open up in the latest

I’d at least give that a try if you haven’t already

using this : https://sheepshaver.cebix.net/
you may be able to install a virtual machine running mac os 9
so you could run RB5.5

if you’re not able to, I’m ok to try to convert your old program to a recent xojo.

@Norman Palardy Oh yes, thank you for mentioning that: I did do that first, and the project opened, but there was no code or classes.

@Jean-Yves Pochez Wow, this would be the ideal solution. I’ll give it a try!

@Jean-Yves Pochez Thanks, the VM solution worked! :slight_smile:

I already had this one “bug”. you need RB2010 or something to open correctly rb5.5
then RB2012 and then xojo.
rb5.5 directly it really too old.

@Jean-Yves Pochez That’s OK for my case; I only needed to run the code on the virtual machine.

[quote=362414:@Jean-Yves Pochez]I already had this one “bug”. you need RB2010 or something to open correctly rb5.5
then RB2012 and then xojo.
rb5.5 directly it really too old.[/quote]
I just opened a half dozen .rb projects from 2003 and earlier in the latest version
You shouldn’t need to do anything more than that

UltimateSlider which has a date of Nov 17, 2002 here opened fine.
Resolved the issues it flagged and immediately ran it
QuartzField, dated 2001, same thing
Its docs even say its for Rb3 :slight_smile:

[quote=362459:@Norman Palardy]UltimateSlider which has a date of Nov 17, 2002 here opened fine.
Resolved the issues it flagged and immediately ran it[/quote]

A real blast from the past! …That was the first code I ever released. It was probably writen in RB4 or RB 4.5 (I came in at RB3)

• Karen

@Norman,
I believe you, I just shared my experience with the opening of old rb projects
I also came in front of blank documents like the OP.
should I make a feedback ? :wink:

I’d need copies of those old projects attached as well