GUI interface changes

With the new build of Xojo (2017.2) the appearance of the GUI on R-Pi has changed. Previously I had got it about right, with reducing the font size to 10 or 11 so that it fits in the controls. But now the text on buttons is offset to the bottom border of the button, while textboxes have lost their upper boundary.

What is the trick to restore normality?

cheers,
Richard

I’ve noticed this too. I believe this is due to the newer GTK they are using in Linux/Raspberry builds. Not sure if can be returned to before. We may just have to adjust for the new normal.

yes gtk3 did change the default sizes of things and does draw differently
and depending on theme you can get different appearance too

this is just the nature of moving from one UI toolkit to a new one
we do the best we can to make them be “the same” but there are some things we dont control

Is there a way to move text vertically in the Button control?

And is there a “magic” height for text boxes so that they don’t lose the upper border?

thanks,
Richard

You guys at Xojo really need to do something about this. If it was just misaligned button text and a few missed borders we could perhaps live with it.

But it’s more. For example, I have an app which was working perfectly with the last version, but now the text in text boxes falls way outside the box, displaced to the left by the full width of the box, so that it is superimposed on other labels or controls. The displayed textbox height is completely independent of the size set in the IDE. Sliders just look like a lobsided pair of parentheses.

Unfortunately it seems that changing the parameters of these UI elements has no effect on what is displayed.

cheers,
Richard

Sorry, that should have been “displaced to the right …”

I had seen the same thing with the text boxes. I was setting in code the alignment for the text box to the right. When I omitted that code it went back to the left and works for now. Strange bug.

I had it centred. Then I changed to default and the problem remained. Only by making it explicitly left-aligned did it work. This was all in the IDE.

Another point of note: the backcolor property is now ignored. It’s white or nothing now. A problem as I’m using these in a telemetry monitoring app, and there are dozens of them. Without the red, green or yellow backcolour it’s much more tricky to see what has gone out of limits.