Trying To Install XOJO2017r11.tgz

Newbie to Raspberry Pi 3 and XOJO. Bought a CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspian Jessie. Followed instructions and installed card, etc. and have functional desktop. I have installed other software which works. Coupon in kit advised I got a free RPi 3 version of XOJO. Obtained my license key. Downloaded XOJO2017r11.tgz to /home/pi/Downloads on the Pi. Unsure of next steps to install it on the Pi. After trying various things, instructions seemed to indicate that it belongs on the PC and then to connect to the Pi to transfer files created on the PC. Seems odd since that is an expensive development option and the Pi is, by it’s created nature, an inexpensive development platform.

Can someone please enlighten me on the correct next steps / direction? I am a Windows 10 Microsoft Excel kind of guy. Very new to Linux.

Thank you!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I think the .tgz is for one of the supported Linux desktop flavors, such as Ubuntu, Mint and red hat desktop.

You would install Xojo on one of those build and deploy the binary and libs to your PI 2 or 3

Xojo is not an app for your Pi, Xojo is a tool to write apps for your Pi!

Tim - I know it’s a tool to write apps - but how do you install the tool on the Pi 3 is my question…

You dont
You cannot RUN the IDE on a Pi

You create an application on a traditional macOS/Windows/Linux machine (desktop laptop etc)
Then compile it (turn it into an executable) and move the compiled executable to the Pi

Xojo itself does not run on the Raspberry Pi.

You might find the Programming the Raspberry Pi with Xojo book useful as it shows you how to set up things to transfer apps to the Pi both manually and using the Remote Debugger:

http://developer.xojo.com/pibook

Additional Xojo/Pi information: