Is the Xojo IDE still a Mac Carbon application (not Cocoa)?

I am trying to use Chilkat plugin on my Mac but when using it in the IDE it says that the plugin does not support Carbon. Having contacted the Matt Fausey the developer he kindly explained -

As far as I can tell Xojo 2014 Release 2.1 stopped supporting Carbon but the IDE continues to be a Carbon application which is in effect causing the issues I am seeing with the plugin.

1. Is this correct?
  2. What are the plans / timeframe to move the IDE over to Cocoa?
  3. Are any “hacks” available so that I can use plugins that dont support Carbon so the they work within the Xojo IDE?

Thanks

This is very strange. I’m using the Chilkat plugin just fine. The Xojo versions I use are 2015r4 and 2016r4.

Do you want to compile to Carbon or to Cocoa? I’d rather say that the plugin only does Cocoa and not Carbon.

The IDE Is cocoa.

The Chilkat guy should simply include the same macho dylib file in the plugin archive in both folders, Cocoa and Carbon.

[quote=313099:@Beatrix Willius]This is very strange. I’m using the Chilkat plugin just fine. The Xojo versions I use are 2015r4 and 2016r4.

Do you want to compile to Carbon or to Cocoa? I’d rather say that the plugin only does Cocoa and not Carbon.[/quote]
Thats is odd because I am using 2016 R4.1 with the latest version of the Chilkat plugin on OSX Sierra. Hmm!

[quote=313099:@Beatrix Willius]This is very strange. I’m using the Chilkat plugin just fine. The Xojo versions I use are 2015r4 and 2016r4.

Do you want to compile to Carbon or to Cocoa? I’d rather say that the plugin only does Cocoa and not Carbon.[/quote]
I am trying to compile to Cocoa.

Could the difference be that it is a web app I am using the plugin in rather than a desktop app? Does Xojo do something different for these?

That may be the case. The plugin functions need to be marked as console-safe, don’t they?

The console app uses the carbon plugin.
Cocoa is for GUI apps.

The Xojo IDE is Cocoa and has been since 2013 Release 1.

Thanks Everybody! My understanding was incomplete and/or incorrect.

The Chilkat plugin should already be marked as console-safe, so that shouldn’t be an issue.
Also, technically the Chilkat .dylib uses neither Cocoa nor Carbon. It’s compiled and built entirely from the command line (scripts/Makefiles) and from the standpoint of building the dylib, it’s no different than building for Linux or FreeBSD.

I think the answer may be to copy the libchilkatXojo.dylib from Cocoa directories to the Carbon directories.

The Chilkat.xojo_plugin is just a .zip archive with the extension renamed to “.xojo_plugin”. If you unzip, you’ll find the following directories:

Linux ARM
Linux x86
Linux x86-64
Mac Carbon
Mac Carbon Mach-O
Mac Carbon Mach-O Universal
Mac Cocoa
Mac x86-64
Windows
Windows x86-64

Try copying the libchilkatXojo.dylib found in “Mac Cocoa” to “Mac Carbon”, and the dylib found in “Mac x86-64” to Mac Carbon Mach-O. (Is Mac Carbon Mach-O the64-bit build??)

Then re-zip and replace the Chilkat.xojo_plugin.

If this is the solution, then I can make sure the next version of Chilkat (due out very soon) has copies of the .dylibs already present in the Carbon directories.