XDC2015 Open Conversation - Day 2

Good morning.

It’s day 2 and we start off later with a surprise, early session given by the engineers (lead by @Greg O’Lone , I think) where they review the making of the XDC iOS app. Later, we’ll hear about Git, Autolayout, and the compiler, among other interesting topics.

Post your questions and comments here and we’ll pass them along where we can.

Greg has started his session on the XDC iOS app…

Talking about how they created a Passbook. Based on JSON, right up my alley.

Sounds like anyone can create a passbook, no Apple involvement at all. Nice.

Norman talking about Autolayout now. I can’t wait to get this for desktop apps. It will change my life. (Well, my development life, at least.)

Maybe someone can ask why when you duplicate a control the constraints don’t follow the pattern of the control that was duplicated. For instance, if you have a control that is set to be a standard gap away from another control, when duplicating that control it ends up being a distance from the top of the parent, not a gap from the other control.

I find that when designing for different screens, I almost always want controls spaced based on other controls, not from the sides of the parent. Maybe that’s just me. I haven’t spent any time investigating what others are doing.

Not that this is an auto layout issue, but why does duplicating a control with option+drag make that control go invisible?

Travis discusses creating a web service and using it will iOS while, in the other room, @Marc Zeedar talks about XojoScript. Glad these sessions will be recorded this year!

[quote=183756:@Kevin Windham]Maybe someone can ask why when you duplicate a control the constraints don’t follow the pattern of the control that was duplicated. For instance, if you have a control that is set to be a standard gap away from another control, when duplicating that control it ends up being a distance from the top of the parent, not a gap from the other control.

I find that when designing for different screens, I almost always want controls spaced based on other controls, not from the sides of the parent. Maybe that’s just me. I haven’t spent any time investigating what others are doing.
[/quote]
Really depends on a number of factors and what you’re seeing for guidelines when you duplicate.
The guides are used first & foremost to determine what the new control will be offset from.
And that guide may be relative to the original control if, say, you’re dragging from the original to create the constraints for a new duplicate.
If you use Cmd+d then the new control is, much like the desktop, offset down & right 20.
The constraints are essentially “original control left + 20 & original control top + 20” rather than just duplicated (otherwise you get a new duplicate that is not readily apparent) This results in a position that is relative to whatever container the original is in.

Refresh / redraw bug

@Joe Ranieri is now discussing the work done to the compiler, and 64-bit.

listening to @Joe Ranieri talk about the compiler.

Listening to Tim Hare in the “Graphics for Display and Print” session.

Details?!

To clarity, 64-bit is coming to console across platforms, and desktop for Mac and Windows only, not Linux desktop.

Create yes. Send and receive is another matter

Isn’t Linux Desktop one of the main issues? Is it planned for later?

I’d say Linux console is the bigger issue, but that’s just an opinion.

Linux 64-bit Desktop is on the roadmap but only on the internal roadmap. There is lots of discussion on what needs to be done to make it work and what the LOE (level of effort) is. I and @Kevin Cully have been harassing, err I mean discussing with them about this.

r3 will include customizable sort, so instead of using SortWith, you can do something like this:

myArr.Sort( AddressOf CompareMethod )

The signature for CompareMethod is:

Function Compare ( item1 As Type, item2 As Type) As Integer

“Type” is whatever the array type is, and the result is -1 if item1 < item, 0 if equal, and 1 if item1 > item2.

[quote=183807:@Kem Tekinay]r3 will include customizable sort, so instead of using SortWith, you can do something like this:

myArr.Sort( AddressOf CompareMethod )

The signature for CompareMethod is:

Function Compare ( item1 As Type, item2 As Type) As Integer

“Type” is whatever the array type is, and the result is -1 if item1 < item, 0 if equal, and 1 if item1 > item2.[/quote]

Yes! With my current project, SortWith has been needed, and of limited use really. It should be more customizable. I’d love to see a switch for specifying ascending or descending order with the sort, too.

You can deal with that easily by setting a flag that your Compare function can find. If the flag is set, multiply the result by -1 before returning it.