App Submit Question

When you submit an app to the store, you are asked if your app contains encryption (even basic OS X encryption).
How are you supposed to know if anything in your app could be construed as encryption??

I do not specifically encrypt anything - Example:

My app creates / reads / writes to an SQLite database.
Resizes images using SIPS.
Copies text strings to the clipboard.
Exports text strings as .txt files
Backups SQLite database files.
Converts Hex to RGB and vice versa.
Uses macoslib to create the toolbar and for MAS receipt checking.

How do I know if any of the above uses encryption without me knowing?
Unless you are a computer scientist, how on earth are you supposed to know what is going on internally?

Thanks.

[quote=137392:@Richard Summers]My app creates / reads / writes to an SQLite database.
Resizes images using SIPS.
Copies text strings to the clipboard.
Exports text strings as .txt files
Backups SQLite database files.
Converts Hex to RGB and vice versa.
Uses macoslib to create the toolbar and for MAS receipt checking.

How do I know if any of the above uses encryption without me knowing?
Unless you are a computer scientist, how on earth are you supposed to know what is going on internally?[/quote]

So, no, you are not doing encryption :wink:

Please allow me to reopen this question just to be sure:

Does using encrypted (password protected) SQLite database files means you are using encryption in the terms of MAS?

Thanks.

I don’t think so. The question “are you using encryption” is meant to comply with not exporting strategic (strong) encryption technology tools. Since the encryption is internal to the app, the app is not an encryption tool.

This link might explain the issue further https://itunespartner.apple.com/en/apps/faq/Managing%20Your%20Apps_Export%20Compliance#56254694

Thanks, this is my opinion too but the iTunes document is not very clear at this respect.

Apparently, the document posted by Edwin means any encryption would mean clicking yes in the interview.

This is a little confusing. Say I create custom user project documents for my app and encrypt them using Einhugar e-Crypt plugin so only my app can read them? Does this need to be declared?

[quote=355536:@Denise Adams]This is a little confusing. Say I create custom user project documents for my app and encrypt them using Einhugar e-Crypt plugin so only my app can read them? Does this need to be declared?[/quote]If your application directly interacts with any form of Encryption (encoding or decoding) then you should check that little box. I don’t know what would happen if you didn’t check the box and Apple found out.

So in your case, you’d check the box.

Just to make this clear, this is not actually an Apple rule, this is a U.S. government rule and if you want to sell in the U.S. or are a U.S. entity selling outside the U.S. you are legally obliged to answer that question.

Thanks for clarifying.