What "extended" XOJO Lite would you buy instead of the very resticted orig. Lite version?

This is untrue. Many ideas are great and integrated, even suffering adaptations. A more accurate is “Customers’ wishes are sometimes impossible to meet”.

2 Likes

XOJO EULA (long version) tells you that transfering / selling an XOJO Lic to OTHER users is allowed when XOJO gives their OK (by written authorization from XOJO) for that transfer!!

Look at longer EULA version:
“You may transfer your Xojo license key(s) to another person only after receiving written authorization from Xojo, Inc. and only if the recipient agrees to be bound by the terms of this agreement.”

So an DOWNGRADE from 2 Lic to 1 or 3 Lic to 2, 1 is in theoretical possible - what makes the buyed version cheaper for one user and XOJO gets an new users without money lost - because that user would NOT buy the price.

I dont find the discuss ist weird - ist an very simple question about the really cheap enough but way to limited XOJO Lite version for non commercial usage.

Why not such an SEMI PRO Version for round about 299 USD?!
Its an big enough limitation gap to the really PRO and or desktop / web / mobile prices - because
of only 1 lic, NO SQL (SQL is for me clear commercial focus), NO tech support, NO worker class, NO console apps, NO version control, NO BETA access … but price / functions factor OK for hobby users like me.
I would buy such an SEMI PRO for 299 USD but never ever buy DESKTOP +WEB/MOBILE for 399+399USD NOR the PRO Version for 799 USD.

I agree that for devs build & sell their apps the XOJO prices are in an good range - no question.

I use XOJO Lite. The limitation I have is being able to use the compiler on both a desktop computer and a laptop. I would like Xojo to offer some “options” where I could pick some things (at extra cost, of course) to upgrade my XOJO Lite.

For example, I would like to be able to add it to my laptop for an upgrade fee. People like TechTool Pro allow you to buy an additional license so you can have the program on multiple computers. XOJO could do the same, and to prevent people from pirating, they could require that all licenses so purchased were on the same WiFi network - so they could be checked against the “Master License” for authenticity.

Why not have a “menu” of options we could add to our basic license to address the unique requirements each of us may have? You could have an adder to permit multiple computers on the same OS; multiple computers with cross-platform capability, etc.

For the record, I’m happy with the cost of XOJO. Having lived with software that goes stale or just stops being available, I believe it’s important that the XOJO people survive and make money.

1 Like

I think is not clear what the chart put as “License Activations”. Most new users will understand that a PRO license can be used by 3 people, but this is not the case. Xojo license is per developer, the “License Activations” is for the developer to install the license in 3 of their personal computers or VMs.

So no, it could not be a downgrade from 2 to 1 or 3 to 2 activations.

I can’t have my license (if it has 2 or 3 activations) installed on my computer and my wife’s computer and both work building programs.

You said you don’t need version control. Others like the Lite version but want version control. Xojo has said having more license options will only confuse the buyer and is not practical.

In the era of in-app purchases, I don’t know if allowing other features will help Xojo sales (or even if is possible with Xojo current license authentication). Is fun to talk about pricing and options but I don’t think anything will change in favor of the users (cheaper options for what they only need).

Some years ago, when I used to have a Pro license (and several PC’s & Macs), I was able to purchase a 4th license activation for a nominal fee.

I don’t know if that’s still a thing that can be done, but I suggest contacting hello@xojo.com to find out.

These days I’m down to just a Mac mini (Intel) and a MacBook Air (which I only boot up for M1/Silicon testing), and I’m only interested in macOS apps, so a Mac Lite license with a single activation suits me fine.

Plus I’m much more broke than I used to be :face_holding_back_tears: Being medically-retired can do that to you.

1 Like

@AlbertoD:
"I think is not clear what the chart put as “License Activations”. Most new users will understand that a PRO license can be used by 3 people, but this is not the case. Xojo license is per developer, the “License Activations” is for the developer to install the license in 3 of their personal computers or VMs.

So no, it could not be a downgrade from 2 to 1 or 3 to 2 activations."

Thats not fully true!. Please look at the EULA of XOJO - there is an exception when such an transfer of lic to other user is really allowed.
Its on XOJO to allow that - but then possible. At least so i understand the sentence from XOJO below:

EDIT: Or did i misunderstand that and that above means - one person can transfer his lic(s) BUT only ALL of his lic(s) and not only some # of lic?

And i would like also such things of upgrades for the Lite version - if my such an SEMI PRO xojo product is not wanted by xojo.
Lite for 148USB - OK plus Andriod/IOS (=Mobile) = XY USD - together only 1 lic needed
I could buy such if an A+B if is much below 148USD +399USD - but not 1+2 Lic , only 1 Lic together needed.

I asked XOJO by email about the & also my ideea about an SEMI PRO (only non commercial usage granted) like shown on my pic above.
Will tell the answer here - and then the discuss maybe ends - i hope for an happy ending/ nice answer from XOJO of course :wink:

Thanks ALL here for their comments & help.

You misunderstood that.
One license with the possibility to be installed in 1, 2, 3 or 6 of your machines (depending on the License).
If Xojo gives you authorization to sell your license you will not be able to use that license anymore.

Example: you have a Pro license that expired in December 2023 and you have it installed in 3 of your machines. Xojo authorizes you to sell the license. The person that buys your license can use it to install it in 3 machines, you no longer be able to install it in any of your machines.

I hope you get the answer that you are looking for but usually Xojo does not comment on future offers, dates for releases, future changes in license features.

1 Like

Thanks AlbertoD for clearing that transfering /selling of XOJO Lic(s) means sell ALL lic(s) to an other user , not only some.

But even that could be an option for me to buy such an not to old PRO lic from an PRO user which quitted /finished with using XOJO. I believe that that happens sometime …

EDIT: XOJO answered both - sell/buy XOJO Lic question & about an “SEMIPRO” Version…

1. "if you purchase a license from someone else. We don’t really put restrictions on this sort of thing. " GREAT
  2. as expected, perhaps they think about that BUT like to hold XOJO Versions simple - not too many Versions above the Lite…

So i will ask here somewhere about an PRO user who wants to sell his Pro Lic(s).

Thanks all

I would prefer a “Desktop Lite” version:

• All desktop OSes (macOS, Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi)
  • No Mobile OSes
  • No tech support
  • No DB support
  • With multicore support
  • 1 License activation
3 Likes

I understand XOJO to hold their XoJO versions simple - not too many Versions.

BUT the way out of an to “many Versions problem” is quite simple:
XOJO build an Web App named XOJO4YOU-Configurator.
What it would do?
Customer can add all their extra functions to the Lite Version by selecting (YES Multicore)) or (YES DB) all features plus # of lic they need or want to have.

I am sure that this way will give XOJO much more USD over the time!

One more thing … :wink:
They also could offer shorter lic-time (6 Months=60% of 1 year) and longer lic-time (2 years=75% of 2*1 year) to get even more customers satisfied.

1 Like

Please stop using the term “license” in this regard as it confuses things. It’s the # of activations for a single license.

3 Likes

Customer support for those millions of licenses combinations would be such a nightmare.

-No I have SQL with no multicore!

-I have Linux with IOS but I meant to buy Windows with Mac and multicore!

-I thought I did buy the tech support…

-I purchased web and web only but I don’t have any database support?

Not to mention handling multiple custom licenses for a single customer, yeesh. For even a large company that’s going to suck.

1 Like