What "extended" XOJO Lite would you buy instead of the very resticted orig. Lite version?

Hi,
i perhaps want to buy an XOJO Version.

But the offered XOJO Lite Version is for me much to restricted - and so for me to expensive for what i would get.

Also i dont know if the missing multicore option reduces much speed in the IDE or in the apps.
We have year 2023 - so i think multicore should be standard.

I mad an opinion poll with some possible extended Lite Versions i would buy - for sure i will not buy the orig. Lite version nor the other ones.

Google Opinon Poll:
https://forms.gle/gBV3qC5UfLf3kCur8

I take the second option - and will offer all polls later.

What do you think?
I think XOJO company would get much more customers with an extended lite version , and overall more income than with the Pro Versions. Some Pro Users will get lost - they would by extended Lite version but much more sells with extended Lite Version - i believe.
Thanks

ā€˜multicoreā€™ means ā€˜able to run worker appsā€™
Xojo doesnā€™t do multicore in a single application.
Version control means the file format is text based, so you could compare changes using a diff engine. (I use Arbed, even though I have a Pro licence)

To me, the pivot point is ā€˜do you want to compile for Mac and Win from one machine?ā€™
For some, it will be ā€˜do you want to access databases out-of-the-box?ā€™

The Lite price is reasonable.

Xojo iOS is way overpriced.
Personally,I feel there should be a Lite just for iOS especially since (unlike desktop), you more or less need to keep buying the iOS version ($399) every time Apple decides to force an SDK change. That infuriates me. Iā€™d not be angry if it was $99 a time.
Xojo advertises ā€˜buy once, keep compilingā€™, but that isnā€™t possible with iOS.
(Technically, you could maybe compile, but what it generates is unusable)

One desktop plus iOS is not a sensible ā€˜Liteā€™ combo

1 Like

Thanks for explaining multicore option - its the worker class which is not really necessary for non commercial apps.

The reason for my opinion poll was the usage for NON COMMERCIAL Apps and hobbiest , students.
IOS and Android Mobileapps should be includable to an Lite Version!
At least for non commercial usage / non App Store upload possibility.
IOS Mobileapp should be possible without an payed DEV Account - as it is possible to sign locally (adhoc) for the peoples OWN device = 100% non commercial.
If its not possible for XOJO to grant that, XOJO could buy IOS Dev Accounts from apple and resell them for much less than 99$ / year to Lite USers. Maybe that reselled IOS Dev Accounts have some restrictions - but that doesnā€™t matter for non commercial (zero cost in App Store) usage.

For me perfect lite version would be:
The orig. Lite - one OS (Win or Mac) but with Android & iOS (both non commercial if that is more realistic for an price below 129$.
Or added second an OS (+ one) for below 149ā‚¬.

Pros with focus on 90%+ commercial apps , included WEB APPS & CONSOLE apps will stay with the PRO edition, with tech support, fast bugfixes, more than 1 lic etc.

The price for Lite is perfectly reasonable. Workers donā€™t do much. Even the Lite version sorta supports version control with external items. For both iOS and macOS you need a developer account at Apple anyways which is 100 Euronen.

3 Likes

It is a bit misleading though. Most would read the Lite version does not Multi-Core support and Desktop does. It should be ā€˜Workers supportā€™ instead.

6 Likes

As others said, the problem with that graph is that people donā€™t know about ā€œworkersā€ when they are new to Xojo. We think multicore is like the graphics tablet I gift my wife many years ago, the pen didnā€™t work smooth until I checked the option to use ā€˜multiple coresā€™ then it was smooth, no such option in Xojo.

Not possible, Appleā€™s playground, Apple rules.

For Xojo iOS development, you need to buy the Dev Account from Apple at $99 and most likely buy a Xojo iOS each year (Apple updates the requirements and minimum versions needed each year). Apple prefers devs to use use their tools.

In short, Xojo pricing will not change at least not to the prices you want, nor they will be able to sell Apple Dev Accounts. That means that you may want to look for an alternative.

Edit: one more thing about the comparison chart, besides changing ā€œMulticore Supportā€ to ā€œWorkers Supportā€, they need to add (SQLite) to the Database Access instead of blank under Lite. Some people that know nothing about Xojo can land on this graph directly.

comparison chart
I do not knew you can XCompile application in all versionsā€¦

I donā€™t get what you want, but here are your lowest options in the current 3 days PI promotion:

If you want mobile + something it is a $400+ :money_with_wings:

I do not knew you can XCompile application in all versionsā€¦

You canā€™t. You have to choose one target for Lite.
if you want to do Mac and Windows, you need at least 2 Lites, or one desktop (which also does Linux if you have a use for that, but it costs 4 x Lites, not 3)

The chart at the top ignores that aspect too.

2 Likes

Basically:

• Mac or Windows, iOS and Android for 129$
  • Mac, Windows, iOS and Android for 149ā‚¬

You mean ā€œuser desired priceā€ ?

2 Likes

Xojo being a commercial company has no reason in making a lite version too attractive. They do want to sell Pro licenses for obvious reasons.

Your calculation misses the free route you can choose as an alternative until you are ready to deploy, after which hopefully sales will even out your expenses soon (which should be the case if you are targeting the app stores): You can use a free Apple developer license and set up a full Apple test base including iOS simulator. You can use the free Xojo demo fully for development, with the only limitations being save format and the absence of workers. The first one is a pity, and I would welcome an inclusion of project format for the lite versions. Makes it much easier to debug and revert, so instead you should create an own frequent backup method which is not newbie-friendly.

If you are then ready to publish and still cannot afford all the license costs (where you could also buy just one license first and upgrade to a bigger one once sales came in), contact Xojo. In the past they had almost always found ways for a solution that would not stop a good project from being distributed.

That is what I meant :wink:

my need would be
desktop / pdf / charts / version control ready files
license activations 3+ to work at any pc or laptop.
basically i could use sqlite for myself.
database access to database server/service is useful for PostgreSQL. or via ODBC to Firebird.
android if it is ready ā€¦ (B4A is free)
no more raspberry piā€™s

Lite is overpriced since it does not contain version control and Iā€™m not paying $400 for the desktop just to get it, hence I have not updated my license in a long time.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to see the Console option broken out as a separate option from the Pro license. Iā€™m a non-distributing Mac-only developer but I need to make both desktop UI apps and Console tools - I donā€™t need mobile, web, consulting leads, etc. I would be quite happy with two Lite licenses - one for Mac desktop and one for Mac console apps.

2 Likes

Actual votes:

ā€œFor both iOS and macOS you need a developer account at Apple anyways which is 100 Euronen.ā€
I am able to sign my XOJO Mac Desktop app with my free Apple Dev account - i dont habe the payed 99$ account.
Only IOS is impossible that way. Sideloading maybe OK. at least for own, non Appstore usage XOJO should have an solution to avoid 99$ / year Apple Dev account.

For me, maybe other have other wishes, an exhanced Lite version should have at least Android beside Mac Desktop - and for sure to compile that., note use only debug simulator.

And if you mean the price for the lite version is already good - i dont see that, because ist an only ONE YEAR license for my knowledge.
Price would be OK for lifetime or at least 3 Years.
XOJO , other than other Tools has an long way to go - to many bugs even in the IDE or Desktop apps, even longer way for Mobileapps & Webapps and way not payable for Andriod.

GOOD:
XOJO give Pi version with free license, but the Lite versions are not really a good deal for hobbists.

How do you manage that? You also need the Dev Account to notarise the app.

1 Like

I have an free dev account, i think has limitations compared to the payed one.
I can use XCODE to dev Mac OS X apps and also get signed with my free apple account.
Other way, even no free dev account needed is to use adjoc, lokal codesign by:
sudo codesign --force --deep --sign - /test.app

Dont know what you mean with ā€œnotariseā€.